Archinect
anchor

(Text)Book recommendations to fulfill History/Theory prereq for M.Arch I?

paintitblack

My school specifically states that they do not check to see if the prereqs were done - this is on an honor system, so they're trusting us to go ahead an do them.

I've signed up for all my prereqs except for the history/theory course.  I'm having trouble finding one in my area that works with my work schedule.  At this point I'm thinking, why not purchase some text books, go through those, and do a lot of independent research?  It's not 100% honest but it's what I can do right now.

I'm looking for suggestions for any of the following: Renaissance, Renaissance to Modern, or Modern Architecture history.  Are there any time periods that I, as a beginner, should learn before others?

May 22, 13 6:35 pm
monterey

kenneth frampton's classic book is a good survey on modern architecture.

for an introduction on theory check colin davies' "thinking about architecture".

May 22, 13 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

If your school offers an appropriate course that you like you could just find the syllabus and try to read what is on it, or maybe the syllabus of another school with a position on the topic that you like. I think you might find that a lot of courses won't have you read whole books, but rather excerpts and articles.

May 22, 13 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
paintitblack

Thanks, monterey.  I will check these out.

natematt, excellent idea, didn't even consider that as a possibility. 

May 22, 13 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
SeriousQuestion

Modern architecture since 1900 by William jr Curtis 

May 22, 13 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
-------

You're also going to want to read Programs and Manifestoes on 20th-Century Architecture.  There's a second book, written to supplement Programs entitled Architecture and Design, 1890-1939: an International Anthology of Original Articles.  My architectural history professors didn't require (or even mention) the second book, but some courses do use it.

I would focus mostly on modern architecture; it's most likely to come up in your other course work.  However, you'll need to study periods sequentially so that the progression is clear.

May 23, 13 1:00 am  · 
 · 
paintitblack

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at these on Amazon now.  Some of this stuff looks intense from the previews, very densely worded, but I suppose I should get used to this style of writing now :)

Jun 2, 13 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Infrastructure

Any other arch history book recommendations?

Jun 3, 13 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: