Archinect
anchor

Finding work in the Netherlands?

NCSUwolf32

My wife has been approved for a transfer to Amsterdam and we will be moving there in early January. She will be considered a "knowledge migrant" and, as I understand it, this means that I will be able to work on her visa. I have recently graduated with my B.Arch and, although I cannot currently find work in the industry, I do have some office experience from several summers of interning for a professor. I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on the current state of the Architecture industry in the Netherlands. Will it be particularly difficult for a recent graduate to find work there? Any other information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

May 23, 11 2:53 pm
usernametaken

It's harsh in the Netherlands right now. The last couple of years have seen waves of unemployment in most offices, and the entire industry hasn't quite started to recover. Some offices are doing well, but the general state is not very promising, to be honest.

So you'd not only have to compete with recent graduates in the Netherlands, but also with everyone who lost their job in the last couple of years (an estimated 1/3 of the young architects, if the official figures are true). 

That being said: you have to show your "added value" to have a chance. Even though many offices are rather international, I can imagine there's a small advantage for natives who speak the language, know the architectural climate etcetera. So if you can show them you have the skill set that brings something extra to the table, you might have an advantage. Make sure to mention that you have a working permit, otherwise it could be too much of a hassle for the respective offices...

Oh, and I'm not quite sure how a B.Arch is received, considering the fact that Dutch graduates have either a Msc. or a M.Arch...

May 23, 11 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: