Archinect
anchor

Paper for Portfolio

Kai

What's the best and why?

Sep 15, 04 11:08 pm
kylemiller

I just use regular laser.... you don't want that shiny shit. It's lightweight, smooth, takes in color well. Some people prefer thicker, but I use french fold so, it doubles up on itself.

Sep 15, 04 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
lola

depends, if its two-sided matte you want:
call Auros Paper and tell them what you want. they will deliver.

AUROS PAPER (860) 632-2927

Sep 16, 04 10:00 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

a light weight card stock is nice. semi gloss photo paper can be a real turn on if you're trying to display high quality rendered images and graphics. when doing mine i went out and got a few different kinds and just printed some test pages. the one that looked the best (to me) won. not really much to it. in a folio even the paper choice can be a design item (make or break the body of work). my 2 cents

Sep 16, 04 10:15 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Avoid high gloss paper due to unnecessary reflectance when viewing work in brightly lit spaces.

'even the paper choice can be a design item'… It could be but I wouldn’t waste my time fretting over it.

Sep 16, 04 11:20 am  · 
 · 
hutch

I have been cultivating a newly created species of tree for nearly 3 years. I will soon begin harvesting the wood and processing my own pulp, in order to fabricate my own paper for my portfolio.

I think all of the ivey league admissions committees will be extremely impressed with my efforts and grant me advanced placement into each respective program.

P.S. does anyone have any experience with dislodging wood splinters from a laser printer?

Sep 16, 04 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
archit84

glossy paper can stick together
really annoying
hutch fine work, but why stop there
a laser printer, huh, hand draft all your lettering, and sketch
but you can not use store bought leads and pens, so maybe scoring the paper with a found object like a sharp stone worn away into a fine point by the constant tide near the ocean, if it doesn't read well use some of the soil you invented for your new tree and rub it over the score marks,
this is the only way you will get into a good grad school

Sep 16, 04 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

hi grade sketch tissue with personal love letters between the sheets - true story as told to me by Kevin Alter at UTA

Sep 16, 04 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
xxx

Anyone know where to find good double-sided matte or glossy paper?
I've never actually printed with this stuff- can you just send it through a second time to print both sides?

Sep 16, 04 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

You have to make sure to get double sided paper to send it through both times. If there isn't a paper supplier that has all the sexy choices you can go to office depot, staples, one of the stores and get a small pack from epson or some other company like that. You can also buy paper from Kinko's or stores like this.

Sep 16, 04 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

Epson double sided matte. Great paper.

Sep 16, 04 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
hutch

archit84 -

the soil is not quite ready yet, still composting as we speak. Should be ready in a few months, though - hopefully in time for app deadlines. I did cut my hand while harvesting the wood and got a little blood in the pulp mix, but i figure that's adds a personal touch that really makes it my own

Sep 16, 04 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
cosmoe32

Epson makes good double-sided matte, but it buckles on full bleed saturated, which means that you get a lot of black streaks at the end- annoying. HP is the only company that I could find that makes double sided glossy- its a medium weight...

Sep 16, 04 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
blank

best paper hands down Fox River Paper

Sep 16, 04 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i actually use canson papers for portfolio...depends on the personality u want to give to the protfolio...mmhh i just donty like plain printer sheets

Sep 16, 04 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

toliet paper, double ply

Sep 17, 04 12:29 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

actually would be amazing and of course ur future employers would remind u if u manage to make a toilet-paper portfolio... just imagine u have it all rolled and they can trim a little square with ur work...either to clean their nose and/or wipe their ass... offices would not get filled then with portfolios they r never going to call... its a good idea actually

Sep 17, 04 1:26 am  · 
 · 
greengoblin

I too was obsessed with paper once... After testing many different types of paper I discovered that plain heavy weight paper works the best. Keep it simple! Just print a few sheets of samples and go with the best one. Fancy paper doesn't necessary take your printers ink very well. If your portfolio is drawing orientated I'd say go with matt. If its photos / computer rendering orientated try semi-gloss.

Sep 17, 04 2:01 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

this is funny. I like the idea of growing your own trees hutch. As far as making your marks on the paper, I would recommend a slow burn of some of the spare bits from your home grown tree to make charcoal. Then you can truly express yourself in a medium that accepts no substitute.

Sep 17, 04 4:08 am  · 
 · 
hutch

Nice call Bots, i like the use of the charcoal. I'm concerned that my portfolio will only earn a LEED silver certification. However, I'm currently negotiating with the USGBC as to whether or not including a picture of a waterless urinal will give me enough points to earn a Gold certification.

Sep 17, 04 8:19 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I'm sure you have thought of it but does this urinal accept any liquids......... I'm thinking of urine?

There is also a hidden pun in your prose with regard to urinals and gold awards... I won't expand.

Sep 17, 04 9:03 am  · 
 · 
RqTecT

Rice paper or 100% cloth linen is cool.

Sep 19, 04 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
e909
toliet paper, double ply

perhaps in french speaking quebec. otherwise, tissue paper to capture the tears of joy -- or sorrow--- weeping from the eyes of the portfolio reviewers

Sep 21, 04 12:38 am  · 
 · 
e909
either to clean their nose and/or wipe their ass... offices would not get filled then with portfolios they r never going to call... its a good idea actually

plus, they'd spend more time with that portfolio.

Sep 21, 04 12:40 am  · 
 · 
e909
whatever you do, don't attempt to grow your own tree! when i did this to create my portfolio, it turned out that another architecture student cultivated the exact same species of tree that i thought that i invented.

oh dearie me. i don't even want to imagine the horror that would have ensued if you both had appeared at the Exotic Erotic Ball wearing the same paper dress!

(not exactly the same dress, but the same design)

Sep 21, 04 4:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: