Archinect
anchor

Notable places for summer internship?

Hey guys,

Would you have any recommendations for summer internships?

Also, is it generally assumed that all/most are paid or in some capacity compensated?

May 20, 13 7:04 pm

when it comes to internships, I'm going to say that there is a general consensus on Archinect.  Do Not Work For Free.

As for recommendations, I'd say your best bet is going to be to email every firm around you (maybe in order of distance, and keep going until you hook one?).  Don't send the same email twice, re-write each one, tailored to the firm.  There is a lot work (grunt or not) that you don't need a degree or any experience to be able to help with, from helping format proposals to organizing material libraries.  Since these things aren't high priorities, it's entirely possible that a firm won't bother placing an ad, even if they need the help, so don't rule out a firm because they say they have no available positions.

Enthusiasm is key, and there is something exciting about every project.  Prisons? complex security, ideas of morality... and don't get me started on bathroom renovations, have you seen how many faucet options there are? and tile? partitions?  how do you even begin to choose? These examples might seem a little silly at this point, but hopefully they can help get you thinking about how to approach firms with different types of work.

Oh, and a resume helps... work samples, too.

Best of luck!

I also wanted to add, that you shouldn't limit yourself only to architecture firms.  Look for related disciplines, contractors, consultants, government agencies, etc.  I've even seen banks look for interns to do field measurements and layout branch offices.

May 20, 13 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: