Archinect
anchor

Architecture in Latin America

farwest1

My wife may have a unique opportunity to spend a year working in a Spanish-speaking developing nation.

But that leaves the question of what I would do for that year. What are some interesting places for architecture in Latin America? Good schools of architecture where I might be able to teach? Good cities for current architecture?

We'd have to be in a developing region (i.e. not Spain or Portugal.)

Apr 1, 08 11:41 am
aml

farwest1, do you get to pick the developing nation?

probably good to know that spain and portugal are not part of latin america since they are not in america [which is a continent, not a country, also a good thing to know once you're out of the us]

here's the thing. the more 'developed' the country, the 'better' architecture. i know this sounds awful. but in latin america, chile, argentina, mexico, brasil, all will have more interesting things going on and better schools. let's drop brasil from your equation since you specify spanish [although it would have been an extremely interesting choice, given the deep contrasts the country has].

this is a good site for latin america although since it's from chile inevitably they will be more focused there:
http://www.plataformaarquitectura.cl/

colombia and peru are supposed to have growing economies right now and do have good architecture culture.

but i can really only speak for the situation in ecuador, where i live. which is, as a foreign architect, i would imagine you might face one of 2 scenarios in both professional and academic environments.

1. extreme distrust and the feeling that you're trying to infiltrate a very tight clique, since often in old schools faculty positions are ingrained and unmovable. ditto for offices.

2. get lucky and find a school and/or office that will basically think you're the best thing ever just because you're foreign -i'm guessing american- [this independently of your real worth as a teacher/architect].

of course somewhere in between would be the best of both worlds. it seems to me you're right at the beginning of this plan, and if things go forward you'll be able to ask more specific questions. i'm afraid i've caricaturized the situation, but hopefully this helps. good luck!

Apr 1, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

She actually has the possibility of going to ANY developing nation in the world, but she speaks Spanish and a little Portuguese, so a Spanish-speaking country makes sense. And Latin America makes sense. She's a doctor, so she'd be working in a hospital or rural clinic.

We're of two minds:
1) go somewhere where both our careers can develop, such as Buenos Aires or Santiago.

or 2) go somewhere amazing, but where I may not be able to work. I could write, or do theoretical projects, or get involved in a humanitarian building project of some sort. She would have a salary plus free room and board, so making money might not be a necessity for me.

Apr 1, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Mexico City is pretty hoppin right now...to the point that us Americans are going to be crossing the border south to built thier buildings pretty soon

Apr 1, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
apocalipstick

It is true that the more developed the country the more both ur careers can develop, but i think that architecture can also be very helpful somewhere "amazing" as you put it.
I have been following a series of architectural projects developed in one of these "amazing somewheres" by humanitarian associations, and there is a lot in developing countries both to be taught - teach people how to use their natural resources to build houses for life, so that when you live the country they can still find the way to... - and learnt - popular wisdom when it comes to create a building with material and money shortage... -in terms of architecture.
You should consider as well the languages you speak , as it will determin the work you can do in developing countries (eg. consider translators if you teach in english for spanish speakers... even in Spain the number of students that understand english well is low!).
Like aml, ill be happy to answer more specific questions.. g'luck!

Apr 1, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

have you guys thought about Los Angeles?

Apr 1, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

If you end up in Chile, let me know my uncle builds orphanages there for lost kids. He can always use a hand.

Apr 1, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

There's an element to have in mind if one desires to work in south america, their education is very similar to european architectural education, meaning that they have a strong technical background, unlike most of the schools in the US. An architect in South America deals wth aspects that are thought of the engineering field in the US, and they are aware of the differences between their education and the education in the states. If one goes to Chile, Argentina, Brasil, etc. one must take specific courses and sort of make your degree equivalent to their standards, it's not that easy as to show up and expect to lead a project.

May 23, 12 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: