Archinect
anchor

Berkeley vs. Oregon Undergrad

haleydav

I have been accepted as a 2nd year transfer to Oregon's BArch program and a junior to Berkeley for a BA in architecture. I have visited both and I am very torn on where to attend.

I liked Oregon's studios better and I saw more opportunities to try new things there such as study abroad, in Portland, take studios in other departments, etc.

At Berkeley I realize I would be setting myself up for graduate school and its a gamble as to where I would get in and how much it would cost. I liked the program, but didn't love it. The undergraduate department seems a bit unorganized. I feel if I attend Berkley I am attending it more for the name/prestige as a university than for the experience. Is the name worth it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

May 14, 13 12:53 am
observant

Oregon. 

It's a 5 year B.Arch. and is accredited for licensing.  I don't know if they have a 4 year "push the eject button" option to get a BA/BS.  I don't think they do.  Comprehensive school, which means you'll get a good idea of how a building goes together and how structural forces behave.  The only issues are that they are on the quarter system and they won't STFU about sustainability.  It's almost obsessive in that quadrant of the country.  Clearly, it needs to be addressed and included, but they've chosen to make it a mantra.

Berkeley?  The 4-year program is not that substantial and, even if you want to take more courses in construction and structures as electives, their offerings are skimpy.  But offerings in terms of seminar type electives at which many will have their index fingers at their chin or cheek in discernment will be more available (a combination of "just kidding" and, yes, I've looked at their schedule/curriculum).

Don't kid yourself.  Univ. of Oregon does have a good reputation on the West Coast in architecture.  It's not an intellectual powerhouse like Berkeley, as a university, and thus does not have the brand recognition, but in some fields it is very good.

May 14, 13 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
haleydav

Thanks Observant. That's very helpful. I agree the Berkeley program defiantly lacks any real technical courses that are actually applicable to the real world. But I guess that's what grad school would be for?  In the end does a name brand degree even matter once you get a decent portfolio and some work experience?

May 16, 13 1:12 am  · 
 · 
zg_a

It matters.  Connections (professors and classmates) are very important for finding work-- maybe just as important as having a good portfolio.  Bigger name schools usually attract better professors and students.  Oregon may also limit your work possibilities to the NW more than Berkeley would.  I also think that the intellectual stance at Berkeley may push you to be a better designer.

May 16, 13 2:26 am  · 
 · 
observant

^

I see what you're saying about the intellectual stance and attracting top faculty since the Bay Area is such an important node.  However, I don't think that this benefit is doted on the undergrads.  A lot of Berkeley's u.g. programs ramp up in the third year or so, so there's not much time to get things done.  Berkeley works real well as more of a design think tank for M.Arch. (2) put after an undergraduate that is more skill oriented.  I've talked to quite a few people who share that opinion.  There are many Oregon grads in the Bay Area, I believe, and it too is a big program that produces a lot of graduates.  I think that the further south one goes in CA, an Oregon degree becomes slightly more "diluted."  In fact, the NW can't hold the whole class such that many do aim for California, and elsewhere, to look for work.  If they went north to Seattle to look, they'd be bumping in to both UW and WSU grads.  This is one where the OP needs to weigh some variables.

May 16, 13 3:06 am  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

Oregon's 5 year B.Arch sets you up to know full well how to put a building together. There's no limit in where you can aim for work after. I graduated and landed on the East coast after school. There's many stories about adjusting but naturally, anyone would have to. One simple way to look at this, with a 5 yr, you are set to sink your teeth into the exams and get cracking. With a 4 year, you will have to go to grad school some where and factoring in that extra cost, doesn't always guarantee significant;y higher salary after school or a more senior position in a project team.

Don't let geography limit you much. The study abroad programs connect you to professionals all over the world and set you up to even start knocking on doors overseas.

May 16, 14 12:25 am  · 
 · 
proto

i'd also throw in that berkeley/san francisco is a way different place to learn than eugene/portland...different sensibilities and opportunities

what do you want to get out of school?

May 16, 14 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

I'm sorry but Berkeley is international and Oregon is local. The students you get to know at Berkeley, in the architecture school and in other departments, are going to be the kind of people who go out and do things to change the world from the time they graduate and for the rest of their lives. You will know these people for the rest of your life. I would very much worry the same can't be said about the students at Oregon.  

May 16, 14 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

Hey Im international, and I have never heard of Berkeley , isnt that a film or music school. 

Sorry to burst your bubble Haruki but I have never heard it was a good school at all for architecture

May 16, 14 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: