Archinect
anchor

LEGO addiction

crowbert

I got a little "bucket of LEGO" from my gf for my birthday and now I've become re-addicted to the bricks of my youth. Anyone else out there still playing with LEGOs? Anyone never stop? Anyone got them in their cube? Feel free to post a pic of your latest creation too.

Mar 23, 08 4:30 pm
drums please, Fab?

woah this guy is good!

Mar 23, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Goatse Lego?

Mar 23, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Legos and Brio are why I had kids! Although we're still in the Duplo phase and my trunk full of Lego choking hazards are in storage.

And yeah, unintentional Goatse Lego is kind of disturbing.

Mar 23, 08 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
LessIsMore.MoreOrLess

I think leggos came out of De Stijl movement of architecture and design in Denmark.
Of course now its all pre-assembled harry potter shite. Its as if the toymakers today have decided kids have no imagination. Or maybe the parents -- they buy the box.

Mar 24, 08 4:54 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

We resisted the themed Legos - Ferraris, race cars, firetrucks, etc. And still have no movie tie-in Legos.

But the thing is - when we went ahead and bought Legos designed to make a specific object, my kid follows the instructions and makes the object, then he spends hours customizing it - switching out parts with other Lego sets, adding bigger tires, putting the space station's solar panels on a forklift, etc.

We parents are the ones trapped into thinking we have to follow the rules.

So yeah, my house is FULL of Legos. It's amazing what he can do with them. What I can't keep my hands off of, though, is my kid's Lincoln Logs.

Mar 24, 08 7:08 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Growing up I had a large laundry basket full of 2x4 wood scraps as my toy blocks. Enjoyed those more than any store bought toy, including Lego and Lincoln Logs.

Mar 24, 08 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

I've noticed that the individual lego bricks have tended to become larger and more specialized in order to match the Star Wars vehicle or whatever it is suppose to model.

Example, my favorite set growing up:

486 pieces, retails for $60 in 1990. 24 page instruction manual.

vs.

358 pieces, retails for $50 in 2003. 47 page instruction manual.

Fewer pieces, longer instruction manual could mean more large parts to bulk the model out with a more complicated assembly of smaller parts to match franchise expectations.

Mar 24, 08 9:48 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

I thought I saw someone make a Han Solo in Carbonite out of LEGOs somewhere out there on the 'net.

But part of what is driving me crazy and whirring along in the back of my brain as I work is: LEGO CAD! I wish a 3D-DWG/OBJ translator was out there - talk about a 3D printer! Of course, then the client might get the idea to change the model around...

Mar 24, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I always built the model

Mar 24, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

"I think leggos came out of De Stijl movement of architecture and design in Denmark."

It was made by a guy who had a small wooden toy workshop ,after a decade first making it in wood, they started making it in plastic ..... the man who started it was a carpenter or something -- anyway ; when you guy's have had enough about it, then emagine growing up and living in the contry where it came from ....

Mar 24, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LB

Im glad little Angus is building solar-powered forklifts...you have taught him well

Mar 24, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
mkell

Legos, Brio, and Lincoln Logs FTMFW!

Mar 28, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I had a bucket of Lego knock-offs called "Loc Blocs" or something like that. They sucked.

Mar 28, 08 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I have a small box in my apt. The mother lode is at the parents'.

Mar 31, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
apocalipstick

I got my first lego in amsterdam when i was two & still keep it (and play)

Apr 1, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: