Archinect
anchor

Continuing career decisions

Just thought I might get other professional opinions on my current situation in the industry. At the age of 19 I moved to CA. to apprentice as a carpenter in the LA area, and did so for the next 3 years. During which time I married and decided to go back to school and get a degree in Architecture. I graduated in 96 from SCI-Arc and spent the next ten years working / interning at only 3 firms. The first 6 years I spent working was with a firm specializing in commercial / entertainment arch. Second was working with one of the high profile firms. Third was mainly residential. In 2005 I started taking the exams and passed my first three. In 2006 my last employer said it was time for me to fly solo and I did. Over the next two years it was amazing until the recession, which I have been blessed enough to make it through. Last year I tried to get back on finishing up the exams. Here is where it all went bad. Apparently due to changes of, or the implimentation of the IDP, I lost all my internship and have to start all over with my intern accreditation. I AM AT A MAJOR CROSSROADS! It seems so overwhelming to try and make this happen, so I thought I would look for some input from all of you. I feel as though I've done so much throughout my career for the title of Architect yet the last hurdle now seems impossibly difficult and is it worth it.

Ross

May 11, 13 3:35 pm
observant

I don't understand how this loss of IDP time/credit happened.   I think CA began IDP around 2001, and their own version of it.  Regardless, they (CA Board and NCARB) should know that hours accumulated after graduation and prior to CA-IDP count toward IDP.  Contact Wash DC's NCARB and the state board.

Are the 3 firms you worked for still in existence?  Are you in contact with people there, or can you get into contact with your bosses?  Can you go through time sheets and whatnot to reconstruct what you worked on - probably CDs, SD, DD, construct. admin, as a minimum, and then some.  You will have to reconstruct what happened and those you worked under, who are licensed architects, have a duty to validate your time.

Did you report your hours as you went along?  If so, they are stored somewhere.  If you lapsed on paying your council record or they stale dated, that's another story.  I reported quarterly (every 3 months) because, any longer than that, and it became difficult to "code" time sheets with tasks done.  I hope you can reconstruct what is needed.  Also, I hope you kept an active record during IDP that will not require monetary surcharges to reopen it.

May 11, 13 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: