Archinect
anchor

Looking for Competitions Team Members

Larchinect

I am a professional landscape architect with a successful small practice looking to stretch my creative horizons on some open design competitions. 

I have what I would consider above average graphic and design skill and looking for an architect or apprentice architect with an equal and/or complementary skill set to team with on competitions.

Ideally I'm looking for someone eager and passionate about design and open to collaboration. 

Reply here and we can try to connect elsewhere.

May 10, 13 12:52 am
wurdan freo

Don’t enter awards competitions.
Just don’t. It’s not good for you. - Bruce Mau

I didn't get this for a long time, but I realize now that my time and skills are too valuable to be given away for free. Find a paying client. Don't waste your time.

May 10, 13 11:39 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

If you are entering competitions to get commissions, you are right: it's a cannibalistic method to try to land a job. However, entering competitions for a completely different reason makes more sense: it can be a way to build up references for a kind of commissions you wouldn't normally get, it gives you publicity options locally (even if you didn't win), you can test and develop ideas you normally couldn't within the framework of a paying client... So it depends, there are a lot of reasons why entering open competitions could be a good idea.

Are you looking for people in specific locations or with specific topical interests?

May 10, 13 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

It sounds like you're saying it could be a form of marketing. Correct?

May 10, 13 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if your skills are valuable, don't do competitions because working for free is unprofitable

if your skills are not valuable, you aren't going to be profitable anyway, so go ahead and enter competitions.  you get better with practice and those competitions provide an avenue for practice.

i may have misread the intent, but that's what i got out of it anyway.

May 10, 13 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I appreciate the responses.  

Yes, I look at competitions as a means to test new ideas/boundaries as well as a means to practice and develop my own skill set outside of the normal day to day. All this usually makes for a nice lttle marketing piece at the end of the day that perhaps less people care about than I like to imagine.

I'm interested in these things because, even despite the fact that I am busy, I might just pull all of my hair out if I continue with the same routine day in, day out. I'm a person that needs change and challenge. Unfoortunately, I also agree with the comments regarding giving away time. I have found that it is best to sit out a project than to give yourself away.

May 11, 13 2:54 am  · 
 · 
asrlakshmi

Engineering: We invite experienced Architects / Civil Engineers / Project Engineers / Structural Engineers / Site Engineers.architects in Delhi

May 11, 13 6:00 am  · 
 · 
ncecchi

Larchinect - I have been entering lots of design competitions and I would be interested in some landscape architecture stuff. You can contact me through my archinect account. I have a wide range of skills, particularly in detailing, digital fabrication, generative design, and pre-engineering.

May 13, 13 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: