Archinect
anchor

Between now and September - Self-preparation suggestions for Arch students?

paintitblack

I'm going into an M. Arch program  without an arch background.  Rather than twiddle my thumbs all summer, what are some things that I and students in similar positions can do to "catch up" so to speak?  There are pre-req classes I need to take in Calculus/Physics, and Arch history, but what are some other areas that are easily studied independently that will help the first semester go a little more smoothly?  Computer programs to brush up on/learn, books to read, vernacular to learn.... 

Any thoughts?  I'm nervous that my limited background will leave me completely lost that first semester, so I'd rather start hitting the books/computer programs sooner rather than later.

May 9, 13 11:39 am
JayCon

Grab an Architecture History Book (or 3)

Also, a Materials and Methods Book.

luckily, most programs have 2 different types of Masters Programs.... one for Architecture students and one for students with barely any background that relates to the field (Basically adds a year), SO you are probably on a track to help bring you up to stride with others

May 9, 13 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Computer programs: illustrator, indesign, photoshop, autocad, and whatever modeling program is preferred at your school.  The other stuff - history, theory, and structures, is more interesting, but not being able to lay out boards quickly can be a killer in studio.  

May 9, 13 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
paintitblack

Awesome, thank you for the suggestions!

May 9, 13 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
paintitblack

@Anonitect Very true.  Computer programs are not my strong suit, I'm way behind the learning curve there, so I better start now.

May 9, 13 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
knock out

@paintitblack, skip the architecture books/software, you'll learn that faster while you're in school and surrounded by others at your level and higher. 

Now this may sound weird, but I'd suggest getting your personal life in order instead. Work on your time/task management, get your physical health in order and start getting on top of your mental health.

Architecture grad school is dysfunctional if you're not aware of how it can negatively impact your life. You need a rock solid physical/mental life to fully take advantage of the wealth of knowledge you're surrounded by.

Many people will need to move to a new location to start their new programs. I'd suggest arriving one month early, ideally two, to settle in and get your life together. Having these things in order will allow you to focus on school and perform at your peak.  Don't underestimate the importance of your time outside of school.

May 10, 13 6:52 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I have not been to grad school, but knockout is correct. Another thing to do is since you know what school, you should have a sense of what the program is doing, and what is being taught, and who is doing the teaching; find out what is going on there. Also, I am sure they have reading lists, get them and you won't spend time reading the wrong things. As a non arch, do you know how to draw? Practice, practice, practice. It may not get you to Carnegie Hall, but you'll at least have a better hand skill than many others in your situation. 

May 10, 13 6:59 am  · 
 · 
Dima Srouji

@paintitblack what school will you be attending?

May 10, 13 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
square

@knock, your advice is spot on. seriously, messing around with programs and reading now can't hurt, but do it lightly if you are going to. the pressure of coursework will push you to learn these programs very quickly in studio; I didn't have much trouble with trial by fire in my first studio experience.

yes, get your life in order. enjoy what free time you have now. read books that you will not be able to read in school because you're too busy. exercise. spend time with friends that you will have to leave. i'm under the theory that if you take care of yourself first, you'll be a much more effective and efficient student. if all you do is put your entire life into architecture, your work will suffer. it's a paradox, but very true.

May 10, 13 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
observant

No.  Don't do anything, except what you are supposed to do.

First, I hope you are in a geographic locale where there is a community college or a satellite campus of a major system in which to take these courses.

These courses will be busting your chops.  Physics will have a lab.  Calculus won't be a slam dunk.  You're already up to 7 semester credits, minimum.  And, then, the hassle is finding that survey of arch. history course.  That's another 3 credits.  So, 10 credits.

Hopefully, you can get it to schedule out correctly and don't have to go to different campuses to do it.  So, you will need to rest up for your M.Arch. 1.  You'll learn what you need there and you can do all that shit (the extra perusing of trade publications and reference books) in the summers in between.

I only wished I had taken physics, which I didn't, because I was banking on at least 1 of my preferred math-only schools to admit me to the same program you will be attending.  Physics would have allowed me to go to 2 additional programs which are both good and which I had a better feeling about than those I was restricted to.

May 10, 13 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Noypi

I agree with most people's suggestions about getting your physical and mental health in order, however, I would also recommend learning computer programs ahead of time. Yes, you will learn fast in school, however, you will mostly learn the bare minimum needed to properly convey your ideas. If you learn ahead of time, you will already have an arsenal and will have more options. 

ex.

Learning during school: Shit, I need to learn this specific command to achieve something

Already familiar with the program: Aight, which command will make my idea look best

Best of all, learning programs are only a few youtube tutorials away.  

May 11, 13 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb
accesskb

Spend a day grilling through Ching's books (eg: Form and Space) to give you a dumbed down understanding of some basic elements etc

May 11, 13 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

one word only: travel!

You'll see how interesting it could be the difference in "seeing" buildings and cities right now and 3 years after.

May 14, 13 9:38 am  · 
 · 
paintitblack

Wow, invaluable advice!  I'm printing this out, thank you.

@Knock out, I hear you loud and clear, and mental/physical preparation are at the forefront of my mind.  I've already made the mistake of letting unfortunate outside events interefere with my studies during undergrad - there is absolutely NO room for that now.  It was such an eye-opening experience that I know enough now to not let myself party, get involved in petty relationships, or eat garbage/drink all the time because the quality of my work will definitely suffer.  I'm staying on a good diet and exercise routine, and steady sleep schedule this summer... people don't realize how little things like this can really take care of the big things!

I'm looking into my pre-reqs now.  Thankfully I live in NYC already and have been here for 2 years (going to GSAPP) so my life is pretty much settled here.  I moved here from another big city (LA) and even then it was still a shock to the system, it took me 8 months or so to get used to New York.  A difficult transition.  I can't imagine coming here fresh  from a smaller town and then having to start an intensive Master's program right away.  Hats off and good luck to those who have to do that.

@accesskb, I have one of Ching's books, actually.  Form & Space... that reminds me, I need to pull it out and finish it!

Thanks again for the suggestions.  Really helpful.

May 16, 13 9:27 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

You can start by  seeing if you can do a task for 24 hours without having to go to bed. Seems like that is the only thing about Architecture School that hasn't changed.

May 16, 13 11:14 am  · 
 · 
paintitblack

@snooker-doodle-dandy  Ugh, not looking forward to having to do that.  I don't function well on no sleep.

I'm guessing a lot of my classmates are going to be jacked up on Adderall...

May 17, 13 10:00 am  · 
 · 
square

I believe the myth that more hours = better work is really what hasn't changed in architecture school.

May 17, 13 10:19 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

"You can start by  seeing if you can do a task for 24 hours without having to go to bed. Seems like that is the only thing about Architecture School that hasn't changed."

"I believe the myth that more hours = better work is really what hasn't changed in architecture school."

#Enoughsaid

May 17, 13 11:03 am  · 
 · 
natematt

^ Exactly.

Not only is work better if you get a reasonable amount of sleep, but in reality more tends to get done. There will be a time for the 24 hour mentality, but you have to gauge it very carefully and realize that nine out of ten times it's going to hurt you more than help you.

May 17, 13 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Get Anthony’s Book Design Juries on Trial, read it and you will be prepared to shape your educational experience.

Also visit buildings, museums school stores, go into and explore a different building every day.

Sketching, get a sketch pad and start drawing things this is most critical and cheap too.

May 18, 13 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i would suggest looking up the Cooper Union book Education of an Architect. if your program is anything like mine was, the bulk of the first year of the studio was spent getting a grip on the design process. so, i would look at books on the design process and conceptual thinking.

May 18, 13 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: