Archinect
anchor

Hadid gets £150,000 pay rise

silence

Zaha Hadid took home £725,000 from her company last year as it broke through the £10m-turnover barrier.

Hadid is the sole shareholder in Zaha Hadid Architects, and her package comprised an interim dividend payment of £425,000 and a salary of £300,000 in the year to 30 April 2007.

The dividend payment was up from £240,000 in 2006 but her salary was down from £330,849.

The company’s other director, Patrick Schumacher, took home a £265,744 salary.

Although the firm’s turnover jumped 41% from £9.6m to £13.6m, pre-tax profit fell 17% to £1m as a result of its higher administration expenses. These doubled from £1.58m in 2006 to £3m last year.A spokesperson for Zaha Hadid said the expenses were the result of a “substantial investment in IT and infrastructure”.

The figures show that Hadid was busier abroad than in the UK. The £13.6m turnover was split between £11.4m from overseas work and £2.2m in the UK. The 16% contribution from the UK was an increase on last year’s total of 12%.

Some have claimed Hadid’s designs, including the aquatics centre for the 2012 Olympic Games, are problematic. Last month her design for the £5m Architecture Foundation headquarters in London, which was to have been her first completed design in England, was axed amid reports that contractors were not able to build it within the budget set.

building.co.uk

Mar 15, 08 12:35 pm
mdler

Does she pay her employees well...her interns?

Mar 16, 08 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
rodgerT

at lease she can afford to get that mole removed now...

Mar 17, 08 12:37 am  · 
 · 
aspect

where can i buy hadid stock? what number? i want to buy buy buy!!

Mar 17, 08 5:03 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

mdler, last I checked her interns paid her for the privilege of working there.

Mar 17, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

wasn't this same story posted last year?

Mar 17, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

I know a few people there, she pays employees pretty fairly.

Mar 17, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

my friend works there - 5 pounds an hour. oh and that is with a masters degree and 4 years of experience.

Mar 17, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

its a free market, no one force anyone to work at zaha... u know how much "more" those kids got paid in asia by claiming being a former slave of zaha?

Mar 18, 08 3:14 am  · 
 · 
trace™

5 pounds an hour is more than I was making while in grad school.

If she was in the states, I'd have worked for her for next to nothing (about the only one I'd have done this for).

Glad she's making a good living doing great design and without compromising. Also glad that she shares the glory with Schumacher. His salary is better than most partners at large US firms.

Mar 18, 08 8:19 am  · 
 · 
nerdieboy

I thought minimum wage was £5.52 in the UK for those 22 and over.

Mar 19, 08 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: