Archinect
anchor

Wood Decking

pvb358

Anyone ever heard of fire-treated tongue and groove wood decking? Does it exist?

Looking for decking for an exterior balcony. Steel structure.

Sep 14, 04 3:42 pm
TED

you might give lee lumber in chi town a ring in the morning -- they may know if it exist. (773) 509-6700 if they dont know they will call around for you.

i seem to remember looking into it 10 years back and found out it was dimensionally very unstable [i might be confusing exterior grade t&g decking with this]

you can treat any wood with a fire treating [its done quit often with wood finishes in type 1 public spaces] however i doubt its durable for exterior and uv. you might try a search for fire treated coating systems and call a rep.

and treated wood does not make it non-combustible so if that is what the criteria is [many times balconies over public ways have to be non-combustible] you wont get it out of wood with any treatment. in chi town, the temperture threshold is i believe 2000 deg f to be considered non-combustible. precast planks, conc filled steel deck or insitu conc may be your only options.

Sep 14, 04 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

TimberSIL.

Avoid flame retardant (chemical treatment that ends up in the environment).

Sep 22, 13 11:40 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

hummm Bamboo is and  invasive plant species here in Connecticut...guess we want to import ours from China...put it in big old  steel crates and ship it half way around the world and call it Earth Friendly.  While here in Merica...we ship our hardwoods to Canada for processing and then have them returned..  WTF ever happened to making something here and using it here?

Sep 22, 13 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

^ NAFTA, CAFTA, Foreign Investment Tax Credit, overseas profits untaxed, cheap foreign labor, elimination of environmental costs, etc., etc.

Get ready for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, "a wish list of the 1% - a worldwide corporate power grab of enormous proportions".

Secret negotiations on issues include "patent and copyright, land use, food and product standards, natural resources, professional licensing, government procurement, financial practices, healthcare, energy, telecommunications, and other service sector regulations." The secret process would establish policies binding on future U.S. Congresses and state legislatures on numerous non-trade subjects.

wiki

Sep 22, 13 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

http://www.accoya.com/ ?

Sep 23, 13 10:50 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Does it have to be fire treated?

Oct 18, 17 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: