Archinect
anchor

A Call to all UT Austin Architecture Students!! Need help!

uh huh

Hi all,

I am an incoming freshmen at the UT Austin School of Architecture. I am an out-of-state student who had just been awarded in-state tuition + a $1300 scholarship for my freshmen year. However, the in-state tuition is not guaranteed for my second year on.

The associate dean told me that I can continue to receive in-state tuition as long as my GPA is above 3.3 or 3.5. She also told me that UTSOA gives out three in-state tuition awards each year, one to an incoming freshmen, two to continuing students. 

I was going to dorm in Jester East for my first year( even got myself a roommate two days after enrollment), but looking at the situation is now, my parents are very weary that I might not be able to get in-state tuition second year. In order to qualify for residency, I must live off-campus as a freshmen for the first year. 

My questions are as follows:

1. How hard is it to maintain 3.3/3.5 of above GPA as an architecture major?

2. Would you recommend an out-of-state freshmen to live off-campus first year?

I was already planning to live off-campus second year on, but going off-campus first year already its a little freaky to me. All answers and opinions are welcome.

May 5, 13 10:00 pm
jamesherm

I would definitely recommend living off-campus, but not in West Campus. The dorms are on the opposite side of campus, overpriced, super crappy, and so overcrowded and noisy that everyone I know who took academics seriously hated it there. West Campus is substantially worse though (constant frat parties and stupidity).

It's not hard to maintain a 3.5 if you take your classes seriously. I've TA'd for a few classes, and it is shocking how many undergrads (especially freshmen) just fuck around like their friends in other programs and think they can get decent grades. You will have to work your ass off, but it can be done with relative ease if you make academics your first priority (which very few freshmen do).

If there's anything I can do to help, feel free to email me: [email protected].

May 6, 13 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: