Archinect
anchor

Digital Fabrication Publications

pvb358

What suggestions does anyone have for readings on digital fabrication? More specifically, process of digital fab to manufacturing. I'm looking for something that discusses the current state of this concept as well as the problems/opportunities that arise during realization of digitally conceived forms. Also, an emphasis on innovation and theory concerning digital based design.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sep 13, 04 12:49 pm
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

Is this a new concept I have never heard of it. huh amazing

Sep 13, 04 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
pvb358

Thanks for the cyncism, much appreciated.

Would anyone else like to chime in?

Sep 13, 04 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
JG

Check back issues of "Design News". It is geared towards the technical side of things such as methods, machine reviews, software stuff etc but not much on theory. You can also search for webpages of organizations (there are many depending on what field your in) who can direct you to more texts.

Sep 13, 04 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
re-evolve

I found a posting for this book on this website. NOt sure if this is what your looking for...

book

Sep 13, 04 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
cosmoe32

harvard publishing is coming out with a new more comprenhensive book this year, but there is some interesting reading involved with some of the earlier symposia that they put together:

books

also the last issue of praxis magazine delt with these issues in a more political/conceptual framework- interesting reading:

magazine

there is a symposium going on next weekend at MIT it would be wise to follow any publiocation that comes about from that- or even better attend it if you can...

lecture

Sep 16, 04 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

Check out the article by Jahann Sischka, managing director of the contractor Waagner Biro in the recent AD entitled Emergence: Morphogenetic Design Stategies. Waagner Biro was responsible for building Foster's British Museum. There is also an article in there by Charles Walker of Arup on the design and fabrication of Toyo Ito's Serpentine Pavilion which is a good precedent for short time frame, complex geometry, and digital fabrication projects.

Sep 17, 04 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

It is more theoretical / survey than technical / how-to but Dennis Dollens' D2A is worth a look.

Sep 17, 04 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
JordanP

Check this link out from Amazon. I have not seen the book personally, but the readout sounds promising.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0415278201/qid=1095451027/sr=ka-3/ref=pd_ka_3/103-2298442-3210231

Sep 17, 04 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: