Archinect
anchor

what they are trying to decide on?

queen

would like to know what archinects think this could be approached approiately:

This Monday, an informational interview turned into an interview. I was looking to become a registered architect, no experience at individual building scale, but several years in urban design. They seemed to like me, mentioned that they are planning on bring in several people, maybe with different skill sets, depending on the projects coming in, which could be known by early may. They are still trying to figure out  what and which to hire. I said I'd get in touch in a couple of weeks while I'm also looking around. The principal then asked me to let them know if I got an offer prior to that.  

If I'm right, the experience sounded positive? But waiting is so hard.  I was wondering what can I do during this period to make them to decide having me on board if they do get the projects?

I have sent them a link about the kind of project they might be interested in but didn't get an answer. Any ideas to keep being impressive at the back of their mind? I was thinking maybe that could be tackled from the angle of what is being considered on the firm's side...in your experience, archinects...other than making sure the projects come in, what else is an office trying to figure out if they keep you waiting?

Apr 28, 13 8:01 pm

Act desperate. That always makes you more attractive.

Apr 28, 13 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
queen

Miles...seriously? Because I would. 

Apr 29, 13 12:08 am  · 
 · 
citizen

He's not serious, queen.  He's having a little fun at your nervous expense.  As to your query... people are busy.  They're not thinking about keeping you waiting; rather, they're doing any of a thousand different tasks related to keeping an office up and running, only one of which is "hire to fill that position we were talking about."  Relax a little...

Apr 29, 13 2:19 am  · 
 · 
queen

Citizen, thanks, you are right. So to be considerate maybe touching base once a week would be a good idea?

Apr 29, 13 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Find a job offer so you can call and tell them. Otherwise STFU. How old are you?

Apr 29, 13 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

You really need to chill out. Not all of us have jobs handed to us.

Apr 29, 13 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

Try again, Josh. I've been running my own business - with all the ups and downs that entails - since you were pissing in cotton. Or maybe before. How old are you?

Apr 29, 13 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

Queen:

Once a week should be fine -  after all, they led you to believe that further contact would be appreciated so I would mention that in follow-up calls and/or emails.  

Apr 29, 13 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

I never said you had a job handed down to you. I'm merely stating that for a lot of us, this dance is a part of getting a job and it was a valid question looking for the advice. Your STFU answer was not appropriate. I know I've had to go through the waiting game before finding out if I got a job or not, and I probably would have asked when would be good to contact them as well.  

Apr 29, 13 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
design

Miles is going through the early stages of dementia.

Apr 29, 13 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

Nah, just annoyed when people who aspire to be professional act like high school drama queens.

Apr 29, 13 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
design

You never have anything substantial to say and it's too easy to make fun of you. Must be dementia.

Apr 30, 13 12:36 am  · 
 · 
To op, I would reccomend you keep looking for position.

Drop a line once or twice then stop and be sure to let them know you are still interested. They will contact you when they are ready and if the work doesn't materialize they probably won't let you know.

So bottom line continue as if they never talked to you. It's the only sane way to manage architects, unless its a big office.
Apr 30, 13 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
DJ7910

Queen,

Its all a test, as always.  How persistent, how considerate, consistency, .....

So do you think they will bid against the other firm who offers you a gig?  I don't know you or your background, but I'm doubtful that will happen.

If you're just looking for a job to keep going, just keep in touch with them and keep looking.  Take the first job that puts the $ in your pocket and keep looking if things aren't the best at the new place.

Also, there's soo much competition out there and unless you are the 1% of the starchitects, you need to keep things in perspective.

May 1, 13 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
queen

hey thanks everyone for good ideas! So their principal got back to my-one week follow up, and it reads as follows.......

"xxxx,

Thanks for staying in touch. We are continuing to figure out our team needs & will keep you posted.

Cheers, xxxxx"

...Is it actually telling me to sit and wait till they get things sorted out? I just would love to be remembered in case there are several equally good candidates to choose from.

May 6, 13 1:16 am  · 
 · 
KevinJCool

imo, you should ignore them and keep looking for other job offers.   Once you actually get an offer letter, you can call them up.  They are probably interviewing other people while keeping you wait...

May 6, 13 3:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: