Archinect
anchor

Washington DC, firms and culture

thenew

Hey everyone. I may be moving to DC from Los Angeles (my boyfriend is involved with government careers) and I was wondering if any of you had insight on architecture firms and general architectural culture in the city. Best firms to work for? Best areas to live? Other related careers specific to the city that I should look into? I understand that my inquiries are vague, but any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also to note, I am fresh out of a BArch program, and interested in architecture, interior design, and urban design/development. Thanks for your time...

Feb 29, 08 7:19 pm
some person

I'll share my de.licio.us DC links with you. Most of the 12 pages are firms in DC. Plus some other cultural items.

Mar 1, 08 10:37 am  · 
 · 
thenew

thank you, just why

Mar 1, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Anyone know DC design firms that are hiring Intern/Jr. Architects?

May 22, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I work in downtown DC but there are many other firms in the area (Including Virginia and Maryland). I have always been told that DC is a good place to be an architect and I can certainly buy it. About a year ago the DC firms were hiring like crazy but from what I understand things have cooled down a little. I have no idea who's hiring (hell I don't even know if we're hiring)

Here is a list I know of in no particular order (Mostly large corporate firms):

HOK - Georgetown
Aedas - Downtown
SOM - downtown on I street
SmithGroup - downtown
RTKL - Near Dupont Circle
Cannon Design - Arlington
Gensler - Arlington
DMJM Design - Clarendon
Niles Bolton - Alexandria
Shalom Barnes - Downtown
Perkins + Will - Downtown
Cooper Carry - Alexandria
WDG - Downtown
HDR - Alexandria
VOA - Downtown
Guilliani Associates
Architecture Inc - Herndon
Heery International - Downtown
Lessard - Leesburg
HNTB Corporation - Downtown M St.
Torti Gallas - Bathesda
SK & I - Bathesda
HKS - Downtown
Burt Hill - Georgetown

Again these are the ones I can name off the top of my head. There are also a huge number of smaller (15 people or less firms).

May 22, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Oh and just because a firm is "not hiring" it doesn't mean they won't hire you. There is always a chance that you could get hired no matter what their employment needs are. You just have to really impress them and make them think that they cannot lose you.

May 22, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

Envision - they're more of an interiors firm but do good work and sustainable.

May 22, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

My favorite office in DC:

Division1

May 22, 08 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

765, they have some nice work. a little clunky on the details, but i really like some of the multi family stuff.

another ok firm, studio 27

May 22, 08 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

A couple other corporate firms to add to the list:

EYP - Georgetown
Leo A Daly - Dupont

May 23, 08 8:18 am  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

CORE - g'town
STUDIOS - downtown
Inscape - dupont
Cole Provost - dupont
norman smith - brookland

Jun 5, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Thank you everyone!!!

Jun 5, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: