Archinect
anchor

Books on China's Modern Developments

standaman

I need to do some background research on China for a project and I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the topic. I was wondering if people could recommend some good books to get me started.

The topic I'm interested in is the new modernization and globalization in China, with an emphasis on architectural styles and urban planning. I haven't really decided on a specific thesis yet, but I'm thinking I will want to deal with issues such as the schisms between modern vs. vernacular, westernization vs. tradition, construction vs. destruction, etc. The political, economical, cultural and environmental issues involved are also of interest to me.

While all suggestions are welcome, please keep in mind that I prefer books that could be considered as valid sources to be sited in an written academic report.

Thanks!

Feb 27, 08 4:13 am
holz.box
Feb 27, 08 4:18 am  · 
 · 
bodz11

see anything regarding rapid urbanization. also, check out new steven hall (beijing) projects (linked hybrid, etc). great examples of fast, intense architecture/engineering.

Mar 1, 08 12:34 am  · 
 · 
bRink

How much do you know about China already? Modern Chinese history, politics, culture?

Not sure if this is useful to you, but in college I found Jonathan Spence's "In Search of Modern China" to be a very comprehensive book on modern chinese history...

I think its worth a read from cover to cover, it's pretty thick but it reads like a novel almost, full of historic and literary anecdotes... It's a page turner that you can get hooked on, and you can get through it in a few days...

Mar 1, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

"Criticality in between China and the West" is an article by Jianfei Zhu in the Journal of Architecture, Vol !0, Number 5

"Great Leap Forward" - Koolhaas + GSD for pictures and diagrams

Mar 1, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed
http://on1.zkm.de/zkm/stories/storyReader$5262

ZKM thing from 2006 - just saw a copy of the book at the bookstore today and thought of your post!
Wasn't convinced when I quickly flipped through, but might be your thing.

Mar 2, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

sorry - this is perhaps better:
http://hosting.zkm.de/totalstadt/stories/storyReader$22

Mar 2, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

OMA has done some work this topic WRT the business district planning in Beijing.
How's your Chinese? I would check some of the local practices. There's a mag I've seen at my school, which I think is published in China - it's on architecture. Quite slick...But a lot of the articles were in Chinese AFAIK - ie. not all text is translated. Why does it have to be a "credible source"? Fuck that. Do some of your own thinking and make your mind up whether you believe in the material or not. Sorry, that sounds arrogant...

Mar 2, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

I think this is the mag...OK, I'll stop now. Good luck.

http://magazines.documenta.de/frontend/profile.php?IdMagazine=140

Mar 2, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
xray

"China's Urban Transition" by John Friedmann is a good start.

Mar 10, 08 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
xray

Also check out stuff written by Xuefei Ren (in academic and non academic journals). Her writing touches upon a wide array of relevant topics and is up to date.

Mar 10, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
SavedByTech

Not "books" per se, but there's quite a few academic papers available on the World Bank Urban Reearch symposium websites that might be of relevance (and are in English, which is helpful)

Mar 19, 08 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: