Archinect
anchor

Ugh SCI-ARC vs. UM Grad School - deadline tomorrow!!

brobes

I know the topic of SCI-ARC has been getting a lot of discussion lately, but I have a small or rather large dilemma here. I have been accepted to both the University of Miami and SCI-ARC as well as a number of other schools including Tulane and UNC. Presently, I have narrowed them down to SCI-ARC and UM. I really like the idea of SCI-ARC being in downtown LA, but after touring it twice and attending the open house I am just too worried that it is a bit avant-garde, theory oriented, and really really expensive. UM, on the other hand, is more classically oriented and more plugged into the east coast job market with their pragmatic approach. 

Anyway my goal in attending grad school is to get the best paying job when I graduate which I know won't be very high. Also, my family is located right near UM and I have scholarship money being given to me. So over the 3 years there will be 100k difference in the cost of the schools. Also the director, a really cool Belgium guy, Jean-Francois Lejeune told me that there are really no limits and i dont have to go the classical route there. I know that the facilities aren't what SCI-ARC has, but their program is certainly reputable. I know it sounds like I'm leaning towards UM, but I really do romanticize about going to SCI-ARC and being in LA as I can get the funding to go if I really want. My biggest fear is getting out of school with an art degree focused on buildings. If SCI-Arc didn't seem like a video game and animation school I wouldn't have a second thought considering the rankings the grad program has. I do like, however, that SCI-ARc gives teh student such a broad education that they are able to do other things than architecture. Regardless, I'm 30 years old and don't have time to muck around. I need to focus and make money. I'll save money at UM, but won't be in LA where my life as of now is. 

I also toured FIU (Florida International University) and that school is a quarter the cost of both SCI Arc and UM and has facilities that rival SCI Arc. Any input would be very very much appreciated!! thanks in advance. 

Apr 24, 13 12:57 pm
international_applicant

@brobes

go where the money is! According to my opinion it is you who make the difference not the uni!

Apr 24, 13 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
brobes

Ha! Thank you and I agree (assuming you mean scholarship monies)... I'm just a bit worried about UM's 'New Urbanist' dogma. Also really thinking about FIU cause their program is way cheaper than UM and more modern! Tough choices! Anyone know anything about FIU? It's a new school I know. 

Apr 24, 13 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Agree. Get out without loans and w a solid degree leading to a job. Have employers heard of the school outside of the region? Check! Good facility? Check! Cheap? Check!

No one has ever asked me what flavor of theory I studied . But what I've done after I graduated has mattered.
Apr 24, 13 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Ps: you can apply classical theory to any type of arch
Apr 24, 13 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
FIU is fine
Apr 24, 13 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
brobes

Thanks again for the advice. Hypothetically, if money weren't an option would SCI-Arc offer more opportunity/employability options? There is a way to not use loans, but then I'd have less money to work with after graduation. Also, UM just offered me more scholarship money yesterday as they seem to really want me. Not sure if SCI-Arc really cares lol. Just wanna make the right decision here and not miss California but I suppose there are more important things. 

Apr 25, 13 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
brobes

bump

Apr 26, 13 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
YVVNG

very interested in applying to sci-arc,,, is there a way you can show us your acceptance portfolio

Apr 28, 13 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
The Arquitektonix

Sci Arc is a great school, with that being said, I can highly recommend to take UMiami especially if they're offering close to a free ride.  The comment made above about "going where the money is" is very true.  It also seems that the school really has an interest in you if they're increasing your scholarship.  When you graduate, it will be one less thing to worry about.

My experience with UM is that it was once deeply entrenched in new urbanism, but as of recent, the school has gone through a swift, and much welcome, change of pace.  More computer software is being implemented and younger faculty are teaching.  The tacky drawings that once were abundant in that school are coming to an end, and that's partly thanks to the program director you mentioned.  Although I am not a UM alumni, I kind of wish I had gone there. 

I am from western florida, and chose to go to FIU because it was "more modern" (i got into UM with the same amount of money), but several friends of mine went to UM to study architecture and other things.  I fell into the trap here on archinect of everyone talking about UM being so classical and "new urban" that I was turned off and that I went with FIU.  HUGE MISTAKE.  What you'll find at FIU is a lot of columbia rejects, faculty in fighting, pretentious hipster kids, and a very chip-on-the-shoulder attitude.  There are some good professors, but definitely hard to find.  2-3 sci arc grads are teaching there, but they are really out of touch with reality.  I made my own path there, and owe nothing, but I chose the wrong school.  I've been practicing for awhile and am going to be looking for a masters program soon, and although I'm looking to leave florida, I would consider Miami because of the changes they have made.  They have a neat design build program which I was interested in. I think its built into the curriculum.

If you need help, I'm friends with a lot of their alumni and can have them give you personal recommendations.

Regardless, no school is perfect, and i'm sure neither Sci-Arc nor UM are either.  Both excel at certain things, but don't believe the hype on here until you talk to people that attend the school or graduate from it.  

Apr 29, 13 1:15 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Coursera is where its at.

Apr 29, 13 1:49 am  · 
 · 
@ brobes I did my undergrad at FIU and graduated last year from Sci arc with my masters. It all depends on where and what you want to be doing in the future. I chose Sci arc because I'm very interested in the design genre that its faculty leans towards. If you are the same, then it's Sciarc all the way. But if either way works and the objective is to simply be employed then you're better off going to the U. I'm in NYC now working at an office that hired me based on the technical skills and sensibilities that only Sciarc can sharpen. So for me it was the right fit. But again, it all depends on where you project yourself to be in the future. Cheers!
Apr 29, 13 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
brobes

@arquitektonix @fernando herrera - I decided to accept UM b/c I spoke to the aforementioned Graduate Director (Jean-Francois Lejeune) expressing my concerns and he put them to rest by telling things like the fact that they are shifting towards conceptual design and integrating parametric design and most or all of the comp programs sci-arc uses. Of course it won't be the same as Sci-Arc b/c of the faculty, but I hear good things about the faculty in Miami. Also he said that the 'New Urbanism' dogma is ending but that they have an inclination towards 'urbanism' and the good of the city. I am fine with this and he also said that most of the students these days have a non-classical portfolio and whatever direction the student chooses is encouraged. So for me with more connections on the east coast for work, this makes sense especially considering the scholarship. But oh I will miss LA for sure. hmmmmm life ain't fair I suppose. Seems to be a good combination of conceptual as well as classical design. 

May 9, 13 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
brobes

@YVVNG My portfolio was very interesting. I am 30 now and constructed my portfolio out of hand drawings and paintings I made when I was 16. I also showed them some web design collaboration (which I did not create myself but rather directed) and a guitar I am building. My GRE scores sucked, but my letter of intent kicked ass. Also, it probably didn't hurt that I met the associate admissions director in person twice and expressed my interest in attending SCI-ARc. Good Luck!!

May 9, 13 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: