Archinect
anchor

M. Arc with a young family

joseph42s

I am considering going to Sci-Arc for grad school. Does anyone with a young family attend?  I have 2 young kids. On one hand I think I should go now, while their young, and I am relatively young (32).  On the other I think how is it possible? Am I going to miss my kids growing up? Between school and posts graduation IDP am I going to be checked out from the family? 

I know its long hours, but does anyone have experience with this? I thought maybe if the family lived close I could come home enough to see them. 

Apr 20, 13 4:20 pm
observant

We had several married people in grad school (3 year).  Only one, 30-ish, had kids, though.  You get to see your kids on the weekends, during the breaks, and during the summer when you're NOT in school.  In fact, I'd bet you'd see them more than a newish lawyer they're grinding through for 70 hours a week at a plum firm all year long.  We don't know your family dynamics.  Little time can also be quality time.  Also, I'm hoping your spouse (you know, a spouse, not a partner) is holding down the fort in terms of providing for what the kids needs when you are not able to do so because of school commitments.

IDP is a non-issue.  It is merely the recording of your work hours in several categories while you are working to show you are satisfying the distribution requirements of the internship.  It is an exercise in meticulous record keeping, not an additional job or extra hours.

What sort of major or schooling did you have before?  Curious as to why now.  Is your spouse on board with the decision to do M.Arch.?

Apr 20, 13 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I know a few who had kids right after they finished their Masters.. like literally got preggo during grad xD 

I don't think time will be an issue if you manage it well and maintain a balance.  Although it depends on your grad prog again.. Is it studio based or self guided thesis etc.   I'd be more concerned with the financial aspects, like supporting the family and paying for school at the same time without working.

Apr 20, 13 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
observant

It sounds like he's going to LA to do this and the family might be residing somewhere else.  I'd be willing to bet that there are more married students (with or without families) at grad programs offered by their in-state public universities than at private ones which require relocation.  But who knows?  He didn't make it clear if he was a resident of Southern California or not.  Again, if his wife will be working during that time and there is child care available or they are already enrolled in school, kindergarten or beyond, it might make it a little easier.

Apr 20, 13 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

^ in that case, I'd highly suggest against it.. Atleast take your wife and kids along to live in the same city..  You may not have too much time to spend with them but atleast you'll see them everyday and be around them.. might even help you during grad school to get away from school at the end of each day.  but that is just my personal preference.

Apr 20, 13 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

don't worry about it.  grad school is more flexible than the real world so take advantage of that while you can.

i had 2 kids during studies and it was fantastic.  it is not nearly as easy now to make time to spend with them.  the only down side is you may spend less time in studio than others, but if you're good with time management its not an issue.

Apr 20, 13 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

I agree with accesskb, your kids and wife will motivate you to work harder, smarter, and faster (that is, if you do want to see them).

Apr 20, 13 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I agree with accesskb, your kids and wife will motivate you to work harder, smarter, and faster (that is, if you do want to see them).

Eh.  This could go either way.  Some of the married students leave because the couple decides that this is an investment they don't want to make, either for the schooling or for what is likely to come afterward.  Others are sincerely interested and talented so it's a worthwhile endeavor.  We don't know much about the OP - where he's from, what he studied before, what he's been doing, what his wife thinks, what he plans to do later, what his wife will do later - too many variables he hasn't put forth.  And even if he did, we still wouldn't know all the nuances such that we could give advice.  My only answer is that school is a hassle and IDP is not.  The latter is simply a part of going to work.

Apr 21, 13 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

I knew a guy who went through masters with new twins while working. His grades weren't so hot but he finished. I think he worked something out with the school so he could skip the occasional class.

Apr 21, 13 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

It depends on the program and the school, frankly. I think that Sci-Arc would be a little rough on family life.

Apr 21, 13 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
joseph42s

Thanks for all of the responses. I currently live in Santa Barbara. So Southern California(ish). I would relocate the family closer to school. Not totally set on SciArc, but just want to stay in California for family reasons. 

Background in Development financing, construction management, project management. Poli-Sci undergrad. 32, kids 2.5 and 4 months. Wife on board to do what it takes to follow the DREAM.  

Apr 23, 13 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: