Archinect
anchor

Architect & Construction Project Manager Interview Attire

Anob

I have a couple of job prospect coming in for Construction Manager and Architect positions.

I'm planning on buying some interview clothes to prepare myself for a short notice interview..

Physical info:

• I'm 5'-11" ft tall,
  • muscular built almost like a running back,
  • super wide shoulders,
  • Black Male

I'm not a big fan of suits because  I feel I look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in a suit. And I get very hot and nervous very quickly. Since its spring and going to summer I am thinking on a purchasing blazers, collar shirts, polo shirts, and jeans, and shoes. I can wear slacks but my legs are built like a running back and I'm not trying to show I can bench press or squat 400 lbs.

Appreciate it if anyone can give me some advice.

Apr 18, 13 2:52 pm
s=r*(theta)

depends on area and company interviewing w/. some construction companies could care less what you are wearing as long as you are wearing something. i would research all the companies you will be interviewing w/. and then you wud know what not to wear. when i lived in Chicago every single interview i went on i wore a black suit, a) it hides the sweat, b) it doesn't say HEY EVERYBODY, LQQK AT ME!!! no matter what the job was for i wore a suit. now i live in the upper midwest and i have seen people (not me) show up at interviews wearing flip flops or Bill Cosby's sweater from 85' and jeans. as far as the athletic built, i am also a pretty muscular frame guy (6'0, 205lb) i cant bench 400lbs, but i can squat and dead lift it! go to Macy's and get some one in the means dept. to help you buy a gud black suit and a slim fit shirt with a neat tie.

long story short if you are trying to impress, wear a black suit, you only get a one chance to make a first impression

Apr 18, 13 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

The only time I wear a suit is to a funeral. Being overdressed makes you self-conscious and stiff. Dressing with a little style shows self-confidence and if comfortable helps keep you relaxed.

Your intent should not be to impress them with how you look but rather with who you are.

Apr 18, 13 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Thank you tmston2 for the feedback. That was great information

l live 10 minutes from NYC and 10 minutes from New Jersey. You are right about finding out the company's background. I will play it safe with a black suit and get a blazer just in case.

Apr 18, 13 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Mile Jaffe

I also stay way from suits as much as possible. What would you wear to an interview?

Apr 18, 13 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I don't know specifically, because it's the metro tri-state area, where suits may be the norm ... even for construction companies.  However, in MOST metro areas, I think that varying the slacks and the jacket to avoid creating a suit is recommended.  I went to my very first interview in a nice dark blue suit (I'm medium height and build), misreading the specific market, and it did NOT work too well.  I learned from that.  I might recommend "suit grade," but differing, slacks and jacket.  Also, I've heard it's not a good idea to wear a red (power) tie, or even shades of red.  Skip the idea of a pink shirt and/or a pink tie altogether, no matter how tasteful it might be.  I like blue and green ties and, while I don't want to discuss GWB, he always seemed to wear blue ties I would have bought.  If you were in a warm weather zone, a khaki (or similar) unpretentious suit or jacket with a nice shirt and a blue or green tie would be fine, but I couldn't see khaki in the New York area.  Good luck.

Apr 18, 13 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I have always preferred the charcoal suit, Just feels more casual then black. I also have wide shoulders so of the hanger suits can feel awkward. Buy a decent suit, Banana Republic has some decent ones. Take it to a tailor and get it adjusted to fit you. A good tailoring will make a huge difference. For interviews I always go for the suit with a nice pressed white shirt, I prefer french cuffs cause you can have some cuff-lings aka Man bling. NO TIE, to keep it casual. To keep it even more causal I usually take the jacket off as soon as we sit down for the interview and literally roll up my sleeves, which I think shows I'm ready to get down to work. Then after i have the job its an easy transition into my everyday work uniform: slacks, nice white collard shirt usually with the sleeves rolled up, and a causal or performace style jacket. No suit, ever. but  I'm on the west coast so take it for what its worth. If you wear a suit to an interview here you run a large chance you will be over dressed. Hope that helps. 

Apr 18, 13 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Agree that the suit would be "uncool" in the West.  I disagree on the tie, though.  It's fine for the first interview, and most would not be put out, but one might need to lose it once work begins.  Either way, it just should never be a power tie.  I agree on taking the jacket off if that's the vibe, but I don't recommend rolling up the sleeves in the interview.  Again, once on the job, rolling up the sleeves is fine.  I've heard Atlanta is a "suit town" for architecture, at least in some firms, so I think the (North)East has a different "code" on this topic.

Apr 18, 13 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
decampbe
Great sales at Jos. A Bank right now. Suits going for $200. Pretty sure you can get black or blue. Both great for year around occasions.
Apr 18, 13 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I'm still a little confuse. I will check out Macy's and Banana Republic. I think JonathanLivingston's idea of a charcoal suit with a white tailor shirt works best with my personality and for the companies with a more corporate environment. And I never heard of Jos but just googled it and there are a couple of stores near me (thanks decampbe)

Apr 18, 13 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Architecture client: clean but worn jeans, a tailored dark grey cotton shirt, (no pockets) with a narrow red tie, comfortable brown leather shoes, classic wrist watch.

C/M client: Same as above with tailored white shirt, no tie, no watch. No jacket for either unless required for weather.

Accoutrement:  Small sketch / note pad and fountain pen and portfolio on iPad in leather case, business cards, cell phone on silent and out of sight.

Comfortable and confident. Dressy enough to be presentable yet casual enough to get down to the dirty work immediately. You're a bit younger than me so you might prefer chinos for the office.

I don't trust guys in suits - it's the uniform of the salesman.

Apr 18, 13 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I don't trust guys in suits - it's the uniform of the salesman.

Argh, Miles, you're a little off on this one.  It could also be what's hanging in the wardrobe of someone who gave up business (non sales) related employment to get a M.Arch. and then wants to get employment, and a paycheck, until they buy their architectural wardrobe.  Today,  I prefer nice jeans and a polo shirt (summer) or long sleeved LL Bean pullover or rugby shirt (winter) with some casual shoes any day of the week, and dress up only when necessary.

But the OP seems to be on target with his idea of a charcoal jacket, since he knows his personality ... and the NY/NJ market.

Apr 18, 13 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

The question was what would I wear, not what he should wear. Also different because I don't interview for jobs but rather with clients. If I needed a suit to apply, the job wouldn't suit me.

Apr 18, 13 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Got it. 

"Suits" are just like architects - they are a veritable mix of jerks and regular folks.

Apr 18, 13 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: