Archinect
anchor

Pin foundation (Low Impact Foundation Technology)

awaken

I searched the forum for these but no one has asked about it yet so I would like to know where i can find more details about it, I have searched the net but i couldnt find a pin foundation or a pier fooundation that could carry a concrete post or support. I was planning to design a house on stilts on a slope and the Diamond Pier products says it could do that with a slope less than 2:1 or by cutting the soil a little BUT
what I couldnt find was id the Diamond pier or the pin foundation would be able to carry a reinforced concrete column for the house on stilts design? Thank you for clicking hehehe click away

Feb 15, 08 5:24 am
awaken

ummmmmmmmmmmm people?

Feb 15, 08 6:00 am  · 
 · 

i believe most of us were asleep when you posted, awaken. in what part of the world are you?

other than that, i have nothing to offer. your question seems like a good one, but more technical than i know how to address. sounds like you've got a structural problem to solve as much as an architectural one.

Feb 15, 08 7:48 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude
.pdf]http://www.screw-products.com/docs/DiamondPiers[1].pdf

This might help you from what I see it looks like it is good
deck product and I would say you would really want to look
at the soils bearing capacity as it does look like it flucuates alot.

Feb 15, 08 8:20 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Are you referring to a pin pile foundation system? I've done a few of these on steep slope/unstable soil projects. They involve smaller pieces and smaller equipment to install, which makes it an ideal solution for sites with limited access - very cost effective as well.

It consists of an array of 3 or 4" dia. steel pipes (or pins) driven into the soil by a jackhammer more or less, until refusal. Each pipe has a coupling at the end that allows another length of pipe to be easily attached. Once driven, the piles stick out of the ground a few inches, then can be cast into the concrete footing/pile cap. The geotech/soils engineer will determine what the bearing capacity needs to be and the structural engineer will figure out the size, spacing & quantity of the piles.

These are they guys I've worked with in the Northwest:
http://www.pileking.com/services-pipe-pile-foundations.htm

Feb 15, 08 8:33 am  · 
 · 
awaken

Oh thanks Steven i guess you were probably asleep sorry didnt consider that, Im on the otherside of the world in Asia. Yes it is sort of structural rather than an architectural one hehehe. Thanks Steven. So snook dude i have checked hose before the diamond piers but apparaently they dont carry concrete posts, on their wall system does but i need the diamond pier's function if only it cound carry concrete posts sigh! Oh and the site location is placed on the spot were clay and rocks meet. Thanks again i made suire ill be building on stable ground. And wow it seems i wasntaroudn the net enough to find what you gave dml955i. These pip pile foudnations are environmentally sensitive thats just what i was looking for oh yes thanks a lot dml. Huge huge help form you guys thanks...

Feb 15, 08 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

instead of pin piles, we typically do auger cast piers and then have a steel substructure that we build upon.

from my understanding this is pretty common.

in more rural areas, this has resulted in foundations that cost less than 40-50k (for 2000-2400sf house) and "touch the earth lightly"

Feb 15, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

oh, and that 40k was on a 40-50% slope (varied)

Feb 15, 08 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
awaken

oh thanks holz.box alothough the building is concrete made but i think that requires excavation which is not possible for my site, and secondis there is a cave nearby inhabited by bats. thanks im checking out auger cast piers right now

Feb 15, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
awaken

Oh the deep well near the pipe pile foundation would become polluted sometime when the pile rusts inside and all. i think the pipe pile foundation if it wont require any excavation and would stil be able to carry a concrete structure is consdierable. anyways thanks holz.box

Feb 15, 08 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
jismimk

sir, I need 3 journals about pin foundation or diamond pier foundation . pls reply if you have

Aug 2, 18 4:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: