Archinect
anchor

Need HELP! Pratt or CCA?

missmo

Hello all, I have been on this forum and reading a lot of responses. I really like the community and helpfulness of each and every response and i desperately need some advice.

I got accepted to the qualifying program for interior design at Pratt with no scholarships, only loans.

I also got accepted to CCA's March 1 program with about $10,000 in scholarship money plus loans. 

I also was accepted to Iowa State, but with Pratt and CCA, that is kind of out of the way.

Pratt is going to be super expensive, but with the city and teachers, I think there will be more opportunities. The amount of debt I will be in after school petrifies me, especially possiblitiy of unemployment after graduation. AND i was on the website and their grad program is not accredited by CIDA? But it's still number one in the country?

MArch seems like a good choice since it is such a broad area, can focus on interiors, and has a little extra money. I am unsure about CCA. I know it is a great art school, but are there any grads from MArch @ CCA to tell me about their experience?

Any advice to where I should go, and what opportunities could lie ahead for me after graduation. Of course the interior vs Arch. I also want to try to break into China's design industry.

Apr 15, 13 9:46 am
hayhale

Hi!

I was also accepted to Pratt's interior design qualifying program, but decided against it for two main reasons. First, I wasn't offered any scholarships. Second, the department head was not very welcoming and did not reply to my emails with basic questions about the program. I didn't think the debt would be worth what I would take away from the program, especially because this business is all about making connections and effective communication. I also wanted a more personal experience, with faculty that support me and encourage my development as a designer (not to be confused with hand holding).

A point of clarification on Pratt's ranking, Design Intelligence currently ranks them as 3rd in the nation. SCAD and RISD currently hold the top two spots, you can view the top ten rankings at di.net. Concerning CIDA certification, you do not have to graduate from a CIDA accredited institution to be able to sit for NCIDQ exam, unlike the NAAB accreditation for arch. 

Unfortunately, I don't have much information on Iowa State or CCA. Since these programs are very different, I think you would be best served by thinking about what you want out of your education. Do you want the architecture degree? Or do you only want to focus on interiors? What kind of studio environment are you hoping to engage in? I think ranking what's important to you will be the most helpful way to determine the best school for you, not just the best school according to rankings.

Good luck with your decision!!

Apr 16, 13 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: