Archinect
anchor

Help finding out a building. Potential plagiarism case

FBMuse

Hello fellow architects, a student's presented this design as his own and it's been suspected that it's an already existing design and that he only remodeled it slightly on sketch up. So please if anyone knows the real building help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wp3wo7.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2cwo9x4.jpg

Apr 13, 13 5:16 pm
( o Y o )

If it is plagiarism the original architect should be shot.

If it isn't plagiarism the student should be shot.

Apr 13, 13 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

seriously? 

Apr 13, 13 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
dia

FBMuse, are you the little original architect?

Apr 13, 13 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I can understand if this was a baltant rip off of Villa Savoye or something, but wow... 

Apr 13, 13 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Sergo Antadze

to "Jean Nouvel"

Correction:

If it is plagiarism, both student and original Architect should be shot.

Student for not finding anything better to copy.

Apr 13, 13 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
FBMuse

I agree with shooting both yes. But I really would like to know if anyone's seen an original that this might've been copied from. He's a 2nd year student and he was never very good so that's why it's hard to believe.

Apr 14, 13 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

2nd year? listen, don't you have something better to do? your first post on this site, is to actually accuse a student of plagiarism? really? here's a better option for you, buy the fucking kid a decent book on architecture. and, stop being a prig, we already have an asshole on this site, and trust me, i don't need the competition, especially from a random whiner like yourself.

Apr 14, 13 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

DUDE: IT HAS PENTAGON WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.....BUT JUST A SLICE OF THE PIE !   NOW GO SMOKE ANOTHER "STRAIGHT"  AND IT WILL BECOME PERFECTLY CLEAR.

Apr 14, 13 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

b3ta, stop beating around the bush.

Apr 14, 13 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i know, i should just get to the point already.

here's what i should've noted; if you're not cheating, you're not trying, and hey if he this student wants to rip of le corbusier, then all the better.

Apr 14, 13 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

There really isn't anything in this profession we can do anymore that hasn't already been done in one way or another. It is all about interpretation, and at a second year level the student has yet to find their voice. This isn't plagiarism. Copying certain moves, yes...but that is why we do precedent studies, to find what is successful and emulate or improve it.

Apr 14, 13 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
snail

Was the student able to explain his design decisions with very specific reasons? Was the project formed around an overall guiding concept? The student's ability to explain the design could be helpful in figuring our what happened. Of course, in a decent architecture school that would have been done in the process of making the design, long before any instructors ever saw the final form that the building would take on.

Apr 14, 13 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Post any pic of any great architecture and I will show u a similar project that preceded it.  Every thing has been done at some point.  Go take a look at a site called "someone has built it before"

Apr 15, 13 1:10 am  · 
 · 
TED

I had a student once[in a urban course] which we did put up a successful plagiarising case up for him. His process was taking random sketchup files off the internet and piecing it together - wasn't about it looking like something familiar but just that you can't make a project like that.  Also picked written stuff right off the internet and turned it in.

When it is plagiarising writing you can understand that it for students who struggle with writing on a design-based studio course - but not design. 

Needless to say the student was withdrawn and went on to get a place on another case on a course - received this from him:

How are you? I am studying MA town and Regional Planning in xxx now. You are a fair, strict teacher, at the same time is also very professional and artistic vision. Thanks for your advice before. And Many thanks you teach me a lot.  Since I went to UK again, I have worked hard, and went to Uni every day. Now I have finished my dissertation. And pass all the module.

In [Old Uni], I had a lot of mistake and always argued with you. And I choice a big wrong way( Did not look the book, then give you my 200words summary.  I'm sorry. But I hope you can understand me. I am honest.

In [New Uni], I have a big problem for my dissertation. Because my english is not very academic. So before handin, I always need proofreading. This thing I tell my course leader before and I give them my notes, my draft dissertations( around 6 months), and feedback from my supervisor. First, my couse leader said: that's fine, this is my work.

But When he know in [Old Uni], I copy somthing on website to write my summay. He said: this is not my work. This proofreading is too much. I am very worry about this. And they said: Because this thing, so I have to leave [Old Uni]

Please believe me, when I went in [New Uni], I have changed myself. And I know copy dissertation is a very big problem. I had to accept the punishment in [Old Uni].

I will be attending this Unfair Practice Investigatory Interview meeting on 2nd Oct in [New Uni]

Apr 15, 13 6:08 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

FBMuse, why are you putting this kid's work on a public forum?  did he consent to you distributing his stuff?

Apr 15, 13 9:22 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I agree with shooting both yes. But I really would like to know if anyone's seen an original that this might've been copied from. He's a 2nd year student and he was never very good so that's why it's hard to believe.

What's the point then? He must be really awful if it's hard to believe he created this

Apr 15, 13 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Rang

FBMuse, Are you the teacher or another student in the class?

Apr 15, 13 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

He's the student submitting the crap posted above, checking to see if anyone recognizes whatever PoS he copied.

Apr 15, 13 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I think the OP needs to give this a rest.  I don't think anybody did this building.  In the first view, the cantilevering of the upper floor, at the right, wouldn't work too well ... at least, not to THAT extent.

It looks like a combo of Ville Savoye (as someone said) and the recent Univ. of Minn. Duluth branch campus's business school (P&W, I think).

This is what happens when a studio professor does NOT get involved with the students' work, pointing out inconsistencies in massing, fenestration, and constructability.  Having a few bad studio profs that don't push you to question your work in the limited number of studios one has is a sad reality about a-school.  Some design profs are lazy, some are about to retire, some cannot communicate, and some think some students are not worth investing in.

Apr 15, 13 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

see website plagiarism in architecture. http://plagiat9.webnode.ru/

Nov 4, 13 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Looks like someone cross-bred Corbu with whatever layer cake crap Rafael Vinoly tries to pass off as architecture these days.

Nov 4, 13 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

what's with defaulting to 'this is what happens when your studio prof doesn't get involved'/'can't be a good design school' reaction? you do realize that some students only show up on the first day of class and the last day of class, right?

Nov 4, 13 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: