Archinect
anchor

REVIT

weAREtheSTONES

7500sf Library in Sacramento, CA - LEED Gold -
Started in January of 07 finished Thursday Feb. 7th 2008 - Just about a year....from Site visits, to concept, SD, DD, to complete CD's - 1 person worked on the project just about everyday since 07 - then in the last 3-4 mths 4 total people inc. myself and interiors...I didnt jump on till Dec. and the interiors girl was 20hrs a week for the 4 mths.

Pretty damn good I think - but I'm sure we have critics.

BID

Ill post a little picture tomorrow if you like

Feb 11, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
some person

weAREtheSTONES: was that staffing model by-design or by-necessity? i.e. Were the four additional people always slated to join the team, or was one person overwhelmed?

Typically the "freight train" gets larger in CD's. I wonder if the staffing model is/will be different with REVIT?

Feb 11, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

no it was definitely planned

we took this project from the begining as a learning tool for future Revit projects.
-When and when not to use Revit for a project - (FPP's, Small Additions)
-Future timelines

-I definitely have to say that the less people working on 1 single project the easier...say around 3 or 4 people at any given time...any more than that for a project this size - we start to step on each others toes. Even with 4 people it became a pain sometimes. Only b/c the way you divide up a project is called worksets...there is 1 CENTRAL file located on the Server and 1 LOCAL file on each of the drafters desktop. Once I touch a wall, the local talks to the central files saying that I own that wall untill I save to central...which means no one else can edit the wall I am working on.

So if I was working on an enlrged floor plan or bathrooms and the interiors was working on int ellies then only one of us could work on any given wall

Feb 12, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

The images are pretty small - but I just wanted to show the size of the building in relation to time spent creating the documents.

Feb 12, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
CESLennon

If you are interested in RIVET. then you should look into this...

www.ice-edge.com

it is a java based program.

let me know if you are interested in learning more.

Feb 12, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Looks cool - more BIM - yeah!

Feb 12, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

looks good STONES ...thanx for the pic

anyone know how revit stacks up when it comes to
DOT dwgs., Tax Lot dwgs., DOB dummy sets, Fire Protection dwgs., Marketing dwgs... actually marketing is probably what its really for but for all those permit filling dwgs I bet you would probably export it into CAD and finish it off in 2D

Feb 12, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Though it is easy to export to CAD - Its just as easy to draft 2d over the 3d in REVIT - But then again I haven't gotten that far yet.

...but I would like to know

Feb 12, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Your images and descriptions are very inspirational, weAREtheSTONES.

I, too, have been debating whether to learn REVIT on my own or wait until I need to use it for a specific project.

Feb 12, 08 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Nice Stones.....

I remeber when you were looking for isohunt...and mininova

REALLY NICE.//I have not worked on revit since then...been too busy with RHINO...But I might give revit another shot

Feb 13, 08 2:11 am  · 
 · 
SandRoad

We seem to have the opportunity to learn Revti, Bentlley's Bim program, or both if we're really "ambitious". Is Bentley worth pursuing?

Feb 13, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

thanks to weAREtheSTONES images, i'm convinced the drafter i referenced above doesn't really know revit well and/or doesn't know how to draft.

great.

Feb 13, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Revit is still a relatively young program and continues to improve.
Check out the next release's features

http://bimboom.blogspot.com/

j

Feb 13, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

jeffe - your absolutely right! Your drafter doesnt have a clue. If he has to set up standards, then obviously this is one of his first or is his first project. You're getting ripped off.

Feb 13, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

does anyone recomend any books or websites on learning revit

Feb 16, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

Revit 2009 was just announced last week; here's a partial listing of what's coming:

Revit 2009

my favorite? MentalRay support. . .

Feb 17, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

go to revit.
look at our current situation. people model in one program (likely model in another as well, and combine the two elsewhere) then render in another program, illustrate in another program, then export to draft over in another to produce con docs in yet another... now, this is a worst case scenario, but not far off the mark.. revit isn't totally there yet, but beyond the article listed above, it's also set to incorporate 3ds max AND maya in the not so distant future. meaning the program that makes boring arch design so easy will also, all of a sudden, be able to deal with some of the most exciting and experimental design.. so. do it.
all the people i know, myself included, who have learned (even just a little) revit, have dreaded working in acad afterwords. i mean, vehemently, DREADED working in acad.

Feb 22, 08 2:05 am  · 
 · 
outthere

O i know ...thanks ...after downloading it I am a 100% convinced that it is the way to go.. I alreadyu dread going into work knowing i will be working in 2d cad

Feb 23, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
+i

outthere (and others)...
i actually learned Revit at the firm i was at last year. it was a little different at first, but once i got the hang of it, i can't imagine going back.
that being said... just recently for my post-pro degree i decided to enter a competition to test the criteria in my thesis. i had 3 weeks to do a competition- and i built the entire thing in Revit, imported it to 3dmax and rendered. the ONLY thing i built in cad was the topo- mostly because i just didn't know how to do it quickly in Revit. i CANNOT imagine ever trying to do the required drawings and diagrams in cad- or by hand- in that period of time. i was actually skeptical as well, because i thought maybe my design would be limited because i didn't have the office "pro" nearby to help me if i had questions... but once i got started, i couldn't stop, and even just the shadow renderings looked good and really helped to illustrate my concepts.
i'm pretty impressed and i couldn't "fake" it in Revit like so often happens with CAD drawings. so it was really helpful to be able to cut sections/elevations/multiple plans quickly and label them and get them ready for this competition.
i'm sold =)

Feb 27, 08 8:31 am  · 
 · 
wrongnumber

SandRoad & others -

' "...but i also think there are an awful lot of principals out there that pick up arch record, read how great it is, and want to implement it in his or her office without the faintest clue what that actually means...."

Hah. Right now that's pretty much exactly what's happening in our office...! A good point as well, ja...'

Yes indeed - principals are generally a bunch of myopic morons, which is why you're sitting in an office they built from scratch and working for a paycheck that's a fraction of the money your labor brings in. You should never trust their direction and always second guess the basis of every decision they make.

good luck to you.

Jul 3, 08 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

revit gives new meaning to 'think inside the box'

Jul 3, 08 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

Anti ... i dont get what u mean by that ...

r u saying that revit is to "cut and paste" and not enough designing

because i think u may be right to some degree ...but i think if you can master the program and customize your own families with its own parameters there sould be a good level of design that can happen

Jul 3, 08 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I find the whole workshare part problematic - when you have antisocial people on staff that refuse to comunicate with people its nightmarish. Revit involves a high degree of human interaction - much more than ACAD Ive found. Emo attitude spillers are a drag.

Jul 3, 08 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
phxchristian

"cons: you're creating architecture out of a kit of parts rather than creating Architecture."

pros: You're creating architecture out of a kit of parts you can customize to your liking.

You need to be less close minded.

Aug 21, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: