Archinect
anchor

MoMA, Go FOLK Yourself.

vado retro

I discovered an unintentional irony yesterday. I visited MoMA's website and the first image that appeared was a model of Tatlin's Tower. The unrealized structure's model protected by security guards, cameras and a velvet rope. How these steward's of modern art and design could even consider demolishing this jewel of a building is beyond me. So, the floor plates don't line up. How much difference is there? The difference can't be made up with, say a ramp?, Architects know how to design ramps. It's on the A.R.E. Perhaps the walls next to the ramps could even display art, like say the Guggenheim?. Or perhaps the interconnection is an undefined area where "things" can happen, like say , repose or gathering or...Perhaps the museum could use an actual example of great architectural design to, oh I don't know, exhibit their architecture, design and craft collection??? What it all tells me is they want this building gone so they can create a seemless money maker with an eigty story condo on top. Maybe the permits can be expedited quickly so the demolition can start in time for the upcoming Corbu show. What a fucking joke.

Apr 11, 13 2:00 pm
JonathanLivingston

Vader, I agree. Total Bullshit .....! The money is behind this. It's all about selling those condos. I don't buy any of the other BS reasons for tearing it down. 

What a wonderful statement for architecture in america! 

Folk it. People will never value a beautiful thing, unless it also makes them money.  

Apr 11, 13 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

For the idiot from the MoMa to suggest, that this gem of a building, would NOT work with their plans, just goes to show one of two things; either they're not trying hard enough, or they are dealing with shitty architects.

Apr 11, 13 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
jyount10
This is reality check one hand and dissapointing on the other. The Folk Art Museum isn't a particularly flexible building, and all of us whom idolize these starchitects should take note that we aren't invincible. Many artists would often take a white box over anything else, so as to not distract from the art.

That said, the building's innovative use of natural light and circulation is a real gem that would seem to be perfectly suited to.....a special museum exhibit of all things. For an art museum to not take advantage of this opportunity seems to indicate an almost criminal lack of ingenuity.
Apr 12, 13 7:52 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Ladies and gentlemen I do believe it is time to take to the barricades:

I can't believe they're going to blow up one of the best buildings in this entire city and easily the best modern one.  I had no idea Nouvel's lovely Torre Verre proposal was going to crush this building but honestly the man should qwell his arrogance, circumvent the client and incorporate this gem.  It would be such a shame to lose it. 

Apr 12, 13 11:01 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

it all tells me is they want this building gone so they can create a seemless money maker with an eigty story condo on top. Maybe the permits can be expedited quickly so the demolition can start in time for the upcoming Corbu show. What a fucking joke.

I agree.  This is ridiculous.  I am not so surprised though.  These people are part of the yuppy walstreet elite that have turned NY into nothing more than a corporate police state.  Art is seen as nothing more than a resource to be exploited just like the earth.  Condos smfh...

Apr 12, 13 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Exactly, jla-x.  If you want a real city these days avoid NYC, go to Detroit.  NYC is no better than a corporate theme park.

Apr 12, 13 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Where is the AIA weighing in on this one?

Apr 12, 13 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Mr. Astaire

I'm always wary of the validity of online petitions but.....

Link

Apr 12, 13 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Fish

I remember visiting the Folk Art Museum shortly after it opened - doing so was a high priority for me.  It helped me realize what it is about architecture I find meaningful:  the craft -  the mark left behind as the imprint of human habitation, hard work and ingenuity.  It is one of my favorite buildings for this reason.  To think it will be razed to make way for more of MOMA's anonymous, machine-made, big-box spaces sickens me.  It seems the only values left are those that can be value engineered.      

Apr 12, 13 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

Art is just part of a diversified investment portfolio.

Apr 12, 13 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

wouldn't call MOMA anonymous. its not that they are going to replace the Folk Museum with a crap building.  its just that this one is already plenty good enough so what the heck...kinda thing.  would be better if they could work out how to have both the cake and fork to eat it with too.

the whole world is turning into disneyland.  its hard to tell disney sea from the real venice lately.  i blame it on the pablum culture.  damn pablums.

Apr 12, 13 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
c

@ Apurimac.  From what i've read the Hines/Nouvel  tower did not require AFAM to be torn down. .. the call was really made by the Moma bastards

Now, are they gonna auction off those beautiful  tombasil panels ?! I'd take one.

Apr 15, 13 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Good to know C.  I sort of wonder what Nouvel's office thinks about this.

Apr 15, 13 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Le Musée d'art folklorique c'est de la merde. Je vais vous montrer une véritable architecture.

Apr 15, 13 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

ROFL!  Tell us how your really feel Jean!

Apr 16, 13 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: