Archinect
anchor

Question about 2 grad arch. programs in the West

observant

This question is solely based on curiosity.  More schools are offering "career change" (3 year) M.Archs.  University of Colorado at Denver has had that program for numerous years.  I was admitted.  I heard that there had been some bumps in its history with administration changes.  I didn't go because, at the very end, I didn't have the physics, but had the calculus. 

University of New Mexico (UNM) has the same program.  I think they've had it for at least 15 years.  It's in a city that is another low key Western city.  I've never heard much about this program, except for some positive vibes about the atmosphere of the program.

Question:  Between CU-Denver and Univ. of New Mexico, which has the better M.Arch. program?  Any insight?

Apr 10, 13 2:42 pm
vado retro

UNM's Non Architectural Graduate Degree is a  three and half year program and has existed since the 1980's.

Apr 10, 13 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Ok, but what about it?  They've had no bumps like Denver.  What's the "specialty of the house?"  What's their methodology - bread and butter comprehensive, or with a focus area?  They currently insert the 1/2 year into a summer, which is great for getting people through in about 3 calendar years.

Apr 10, 13 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

We already had a conversation about UNM on another thread. The head of the program is a former painter and carpenter, worked for Predock and himself and is a grad of the program I mentioned. Although I haven't been there in almost twenty years, I imagine it to have gotten more hands on in terms of building. There is an emphasis on communities and the Navajo nations and 19 Pueblos. Many grads have practices in town and are available for crits etc. The Frontier is across the street.

Apr 10, 13 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Thanks.  The school was mentioned but I don't remember that level of detail.  It looks pretty good and it looks like it avoided ups and downs of the other curriculum mentioned.

Apr 10, 13 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: