Archinect
anchor

Education and Career Path - Advice

ShakeyDeal

I am new to the forum and would appreciate some advice from some experienced designers.

I have a background in urban planning (B.S. City and Regional Planning) and am looking to do a post professional education in a more design focused discipline (MLA, M.Arch, UD).

My interests remain grounded in urban planning, community design, design of the urban realm (urban design), mobility planning, and the overall function of cities.  I find that in the professional world, many of the competitive firms doing this work generally have staff of architects, and professionals with design degrees.  While I am not overly interested in the design of individual structures, or landscape architectural elements such as the landscape design of parks, I do think pursuing a M.Arch or MLA would give me the design, thinking, and understanding that would make me more competitive in pursuing the disciplines mentioned above. I will look into urban design, but to broaden my pool I also want to apply to M.Arch or MLA programs.

From your experience, what would you suggest is a better fit for me (MLA/M.Arch)?

I appreciate your advice.

Apr 10, 13 1:26 pm
observant

It doesn't sound like you want to be an architect or a landscape architect in the true sense of the word.  I would either go for a MUP or a M.Arch./MUP or a MLA/MUP at a school where there is a big focus on urban planning within the (landscape) architecture program and the electives can do double-duty.  I am not aware of such a program, though there are numerous among the highly ranked schools, the same ones people here are chasing down in the admissions game, but I was interested in bread and butter architecture.  It really sounds like you want to be a traditional urban planner which I'm sure is interesting work.  Are you sure you won't  consider architecture?  Some firms hire architects as planners, and town and regional planning is a niche area of their practice.

Apr 10, 13 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Question:

Have you worked in the design field in any capacity?

Apr 10, 13 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal

I am considering architecture, and as observant mentioned will ideally seek more of a niche roll encompassing design and planning disciplines.  I do already have a degree (bachelors) in UP, and therefore would prefer to avoid a masters in UP as its seems redundant.  However, I have seen a few programs that emphasize/specialize in urban design, or mobility that would be interesting.

tmston2 - I have 5+ years experience in the planning consultant world.  Have done some conceptual land planning projects, prepared concept land use plans, streetscape designs, etc.  I have also done some 3D modeling (Sketchup), and am proficient in Adobe Suite. Some hand drawing skills, but minimal.

Thanks for your guys feedback. Much appreciated.

Apr 10, 13 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal

I'm probably leaning more towards doing an MLA at this point. With a preferred focus on "landscape urbanism" subject matters.

Apr 12, 13 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Our planner at a firm I worked at was trained in landscape architecture.  He did more planning than he did landscape architecture.  Sounds like a good idea.  Sounds interesting, too.  It looks like you will have to put their curricula side by side as well as find out which has the best reputation in that niche.  Your UP undergrad, with some portfolio work, should make you a sought-after candidate.

Apr 12, 13 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal

Thanks for your observations.  I am hoping you're right about the candidacy assumption.  My undergrad GPA is a bit low, (under 2.95).  I'm hoping my work experience and portfolio will make up the difference.

Apr 12, 13 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: