Archinect
anchor

architects as managers

naya

it all about architects doing their post graduation in the field of management and working as project managers, construction managers, etc. views? thanks.

Sep 10, 04 1:20 pm
tlmII

In my masters of construction management program at USC I had several classmates that had B. Arch or even M. Arch that decided a MCM would be helpful. Also there wree many M. Arch students that decided to take construction management classes as part of their studies. Personally I think there are very few architects that are capable of construction/project management. Many think of themselves as "designers" and not "builders." If this is the case then they can never fully delve into getting the project built.

Anyway, i think it is a great idea. There are many very successful architects/managers and they are critical to the building process. Remember, it takes a lot of skill and knowledge to take the design from paper to reality.

Sep 10, 04 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
hoodlam

then there are some of us who do not want to be pigeon holed as Project Managers and nothing else.

Sep 10, 04 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

being a manager is much more than one would expect. once someone progresses in their career past the CAD monkey phase, they begin to realize that management is very valuable.

you can still be an architect and do design without being "pigeon holed" as a "project manager". smaller firms, in my experience, allow a person to wear many hats. why would you not want to be a "manager"? in my opinion, a manager is really the person who controls the design destiny of a project (at least in my experience with small firms). they are the person who is managing the consultant team and the client team PLUS developing the design of the building.

Sep 10, 04 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
hoodlam

that is the difference, smaller firm versus bigger firms, in the smaller firms i have worked for we didn't have project managers you were an architect or an intern, in the medium sized firm i work for now we have project managers, project architects, construction administrators and interns. PMs do not develop the design of the building at all, they just manage the consultant and client team. I have seen this in other medium to larger sized firms as well, this is what i mean by not being pigeon holed, because in reality these PMs I have had contact with are just that..

Sep 10, 04 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
hoodlam

I must clarify, the PMs I work with do not develop the design of the building.

Sep 10, 04 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

senior project managers always bust my budget....damn old people

Sep 10, 04 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

hey clot, i resemble that remark.

Sep 11, 04 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
naya

ya hoodlam but don't u people think that it provides an extra knowledge to u as becoming a manager. because i guess the number of project managers with an b.arch or m.arch degree than the nos. of just an architecture degree. it is some kind of security also by having a knowledge of two fields, because if in case one don't work other can. think over it.

Sep 14, 04 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
hoodlam

I completely agree Nayan i think it is a good idea to be educated in management or to get an MBA. I think it can only be beneficial, especially to those who are interested in starting their own firm. But that is why i am interested in management so that i can be more knowledgable when it comes to my own firm some day. There are two ways to learn, you can either go the trial and error way, which some of my past bosses did or you can seek out an education in Management and Business. Either way it is how you want to use it, i personally do not want to be a titled Project Manager, but i wouldn't mind having the knowledge to apply to my everyday practice.

Sep 14, 04 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

someone without a barch or march should never be a manager.
ever.

Sep 14, 04 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Archibot

Project Management is one of the key aspects of a sucessful Architect. If you cannot successful do Project Managment how would you ever hope to become a successful Architect? There are very few projects that one does by themselves, you need clients, consultants and other to assist and work with.

As far as the size of the firm. I have worked in a small firm (3-5 people), large firm (over 300) and am currently working for a medium sized firm with (30-40) people. It is my experience that people get pigeon holed because they do not take advantage of all opportunties to learn and become knowledgable. They sit still and wait for opportunities, versus making their own within their place of employment or they leave thinking that they "might" get a better opportunity somewhere else, just to start over again.

Size is a controlling factor, but it more of a cultural thing. The people who show initiative will get to do more. More designing, more control of the technical direction, more capable of getting what they need from their consultants and clients to make the Clients project a success. Why would you give more design responsiblity to someone who can not pickup simple redlines quickly and accurately, or to someone who can successful some a technical problem?

We try at our firm to allow the interns to take on as much responsibility as they can. This means that many Project Managers aren't doing the daily tasks, and they should not be, but are organizers and teachers, helping their staff to do the best they can and produce the best project.

There is a lot to learn from working with the right people and applying that to what you are doing. Whether you are what you called a "CAD Monkey?" (I hope you are thinking more than a monkey when you are working on the computer) or a Project Manager...we all should always be learning.

I wonder what they called interns in the old days that drew by hand on a drafting board?

Sep 14, 04 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
naya

good that now i have found good people who really thinks it is good to be the manager. now i seek information about universities, colleges, etc. for studying such courses. but i want the names you are familier with or have studied in. so i can rely on.

Sep 20, 04 8:46 am  · 
 · 
A

I have a good friend who went to be a construction manager after getting laid off from the firm he was working for. He only had a BArch and no construction management training in college. The interview team at this very large general contractor said that "an architecture degree is superior to a CM degree and we will hire architects anyday." This was a very large contractor out of Chicago (name with held for privacy.)

Management training is imperative in the modern business climate, architecture or construction. Yet don't ever under estimate the value of an education solely in architecture. It's amazing the value employers put on that degree.

Too bad those are all employers not in the design end of the business.

Sep 20, 04 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: