Archinect
anchor

Pratt vs Wash U (St. Louis) vs Syracuse

gg_r

ADVICE PLEASE!

I got into Syracuse, Pratt, IIT (AP), VTech, Wash U, and waitlisted at Cornell.

I am very confused. I just came back from the Wash U open house and they have a way with seducing you into the program. Along side with this, I am very attracted to Pratt (location+connections). BUT Pratt not being ranked as well as Wash U, is holding me back.

PLEASE. Advice?

Apr 9, 13 1:02 pm
observant

Who is forking over some money, if you care to share?  That will help evaluate.  Since you have a profile, please be very general and NOT specific.

Apr 9, 13 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
thinkgreen

I'm in a similar situation minus Wash U. 

I'm most likely choosing Syracuse over Pratt. Here's why. Hopefully you find this helpful :)

Pratt is just way to expensive for me to justify. Even with their very generous scholarship. 

Pratt's communication was the deal breaker for me. I could never get a hold of anyone. They are very vague with financial information and aid opportunities. I've had no emails or voice mails returned. And despite being accepted about a month ago, my acceptance packet, financial plan,  and invitation to their open house came only yesterday. That's not a great sign to me. I'm wary of any school that treats their prospective students as haphazardly as that. You may have had a completely different experience though, and that's fine too :) 

Syracuse has more resources and more money. Fact. I've compared faculties and Pratt seems to have the worlng professional model while Syracuse has the academic professional model. You may want to look and see if you agree with that theory.  I am very optimistic about the direction Michael Speaks will take Syracuse. And if you are set on being in NYC Joshua Prince Ramus is on the critic board in Manhattan. You can go for up to a year.  Syracuse has never taken longer than 24 hours to return my emails or calls. Extremely helpful, with timely correspondence. Seems small now but architecture is hard enough without the added frustration of unresponsive staff. I commented more on a previous thread as well. Design Intelligence has a free PDF floating around. I couldn't locate today but I'm sure some simple searching will help. 

I did some extensive research on firms and alumni network. Pratt's M.Arch is only 11 years old vs Syracuse being the 4th oldest program. That may not matter much, but as academia is important to my career goals. I wanted to go to a school with a highly ranked undergrad program that I could hopefully TA at. 

Pratt is .5 shorter though, that may be important to you. Where does your personality thrive? If you would love a dynamic creative community you may get that in a higher concentration at the art school. I emailed both Pratt and Syracuse students and the Pratt responses made me feel as though I would not enjoy their philo as much. Very heavy on Parametric design. If you like that, then Pratt may be for you. 

Syracuse isn't a great college town. But I don't care as much this time around because I already did college. It was fun but now I'm ready to streamline which doesn't include as much hanging out :D unfortunately lol

I'm not here to say one is better than the other btw. Just why Syracuse seems like the better option for me and share my info. 

Congratulations. To me this is the best kind of problem to have. 

Apr 9, 13 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

Thank you incredibly for your responses @thinkgreen and @observant.

Here's a big bomb:

Wash U is covering 60% of my tuition. What I would pay for Wash U for 3.5 years, is still less than what I would pay at Pratt for one year...

That is a pretty gross distinction.

I've been wanting to be in NYC for a long time now. My question is, is drowning in debt worth the struggle for Pratt?

Money, money, money, is the only thing keeping me from Pratt.

Apr 9, 13 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
square

thinkgreen, I couldn't agree more about Pratt. For me it was a decision between RISD and Pratt.

RISD gave me a call personal at the end of FEBRUARY. I then received an aid package about 2 weeks later, with a little over half funding. They also have continued to send me emails and responded within a day with any questions I have had. I've also been impressed with their website (Re:making Architecture) that usually has pretty fresh content.

With Pratt it's been the complete opposite.. I was really drawn because of the location, but I have yet to receive my offical packet, and I finally got a response from financial aid about my 'award'... 75k a year in loans. Thanks for awarding me with soul crushing debt. Also I've found it very difficult to find much work being released on the website.. there's some stuff from 2011 or so, but nothing super new. I also might have not done my research, point being the website is difficult to ascertain information from.

Like I said I toyed with the idea of Pratt for a bit, but when I think about the entire process, RISD has been way more on top of their game, AND more generous. Easy decision.

Apr 9, 13 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
zg_a

Choose Wash U.

Apr 9, 13 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

For all the commentators, I must add.

Wash U is offering me about 60% of my tuition covered...

Pratt... haha 75k in loans....

Apr 10, 13 12:43 am  · 
 · 
zg_a

In my opinion, Wash U is a much better school than any of the others you were accepted into.

Apr 10, 13 1:42 am  · 
 · 
tim770503

I am going to Wash U. I also got accepted by Sci-Arc and UCLA

Apr 10, 13 9:49 am  · 
 · 
gg_r

@zg_a @tim770503

Thanks guys, I think at this point, it's a no-brainer huh?

Apr 10, 13 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Good to see my one of my alma maters getting some love.  Good luck y'all.

Apr 11, 13 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: