Archinect
anchor

after 5+ years on Archinect, my first AutoCAD question.

Mainly because I never use autocad, but have to for some model work I'm doing. And I know this has been covered before, but I just read the thread descriptions on about 400 threads when I searched for AutoCAD and couldn't find the answer.

So yeah, I'm getting a cut file ready to send out to my laser guy. This is the first time I've done laser work so a lot of it is new to me. I know people have talked about making sure you don't have lines stacked on lines so the laser goes over things twice and that there was a command to take care of this/simplify the process.

So whats the command? Thats all, pretty simple, I know someone out there knows in the answer off the top of their head.

And I'm sorry I started an AutoCAD thread, I'm really upset that I had to.

Feb 1, 08 5:05 pm
xacto

overkill

Feb 1, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Overkill, I knew that! I was getting excited because I was about to ANSWER my first Autocad question on archinect. But xacto beat me to it. Ah well.

Good luck Pixel.

Feb 1, 08 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

just another piece advice...make sure you are working with polylines. it will speed up cutting time.

Feb 1, 08 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

wait! There's an overkill command? Fuck me, I should really beef up on my acad...is this a new command?

PW tell us more about the project | rather interesting

Feb 1, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

wait! There's an overkill command? Fuck me, I should really beef up on my acad...is this a new command?

Feb 1, 08 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

Feb 1, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

shit double posting - sorry all

Feb 1, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

thank you all.

There are double lines because the CAD drawings were handed off to me from the client I'm working with. Its a simple freelance model for a corporate client, nothing to really write home about unfortunately.

Once again, thanks for command help!

Feb 1, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
binary

do a polyedit....select lines either individually or by window...... enter...... once u have a p-line then you can make a new layer for it...turn off....then you'll see the extra lines....... splines wont p-line either..... if you need extra help msn messneger me cryzko@hotmail

Feb 1, 08 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

overkill has been around at least since acad 2000. I find all the variables in it too much to get the results I'm after sometimes. I will typically do a quickselect by attributes, i.e. line, polyline then by layer, color etc. Or import into Rhino and do select duplicates. Then close all open polylines

Feb 2, 08 10:12 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

of course in your case, the easiest thing is probably to trace over everything on a new layer and create nice neat polylines on your own. Often the best solution.

Feb 2, 08 10:14 am  · 
 · 

if I had the time to go back over everything I would have retraced as polylines, but I had a short deadline to get things out to the cutting service if I wanted things done on the time line I need.

Feb 2, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
binary

if you need help drop me a line...... i have a few hours to donate.... just email me the dwgs and what you need help on.......

Feb 2, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

It will be easy to describe in AutoLisp. Beside the same problem occoured since ver 2.6 if you wanted a "flattern" that with earlier versions was made by a DXF plot creating a 2D projection in fact, there you could end up with 20 overlapping 2D lines --- Guess I has a cleanup lisp somewhere -- but instead of using commands you don't understand why not learn to realise what's in the drawing and how to find equals check them double by calculating the length of each one and sell CAD drawings pr. meter.
Popeye you.

Feb 2, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

thanks for the offer, very much appreciated. but I got them out end of the day Friday, now I'm just waiting for my material to come in - $500 worth of acrylic sheet stock.

Feb 2, 08 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
binary

cool..... if you need anything...drop me a line....

acrylic can get pricey too.......

you have a good blade for the acrylic?..... a sharp combination blade will work..... better yet get a triple chip blade....

Feb 2, 08 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

i think the acrylic is for the laser...

Feb 2, 08 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
binary

certain plastics give off bad fumes...... i know the cheap home depot "plexi-glass" cant be used in a laser...... there's some chemical in it...

plexi-glass is just the name of the company that manufactures that "brand" of acrylic.....

Feb 2, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, the majority of the acrylic is for the laser work, its all cast vs. extruded. I have a nice CMT combo blade that I keep off to side for when I work with acrylic - at this point its doesn't make sense for me to buy a acrylic-specific blade as the good ones are quite pricey.

Feb 3, 08 12:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: