Archinect
anchor

Sketchup scaling

Monolith

I'm sure the answer to this will be basic, but please forgive my technological ineptitude...

I have been given a sketchup site plan complete with surrounding context at a scale of 1:1 (2d info directly imported from digimap).

I need to know how to get this to a scale of 1:200. Could anyone please tell me how I would do this (I'm working in Sketchup 5 as my ibook g4 won't deal with the most recent release).

Thanks in advance.

Jan 30, 08 10:05 am
Monolith

Would I be right in thinking to use the 'scale' tool?

Jan 30, 08 10:30 am  · 
 · 
threshold

Wouldn't a scale of 1:1 mean it is already at "actual size"? If so, why would you want to scale it? I would think it would be easier to draw everything real size and scale the printed output. Maybe I'm missing something...

In any case, hit "s" on your keyboard for the scale to scale object then enter the multiplier between the starting scale and the final scale.

Jan 30, 08 10:42 am  · 
 · 
blah

I think there's an option in the print dialogue box when you print to scale it. You have to place the model correctly relative to the axis to get it to print on the paper. You may have to tile the paper together.

Jan 30, 08 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Monolith

Hi threshold,

I don't think you're missing any other information other than the fact I'm an imbecile with this program!

Basically, I wanted to take the site context, trace it in Illustrator and annotate the site plan.

Going with what you're saying, if I was to trace all that I need in Illustrator, how would I get from 1:1 to 1:200? I.e, how do you scale the printed output in these terms? Thanks.

Jan 30, 08 10:48 am  · 
 · 
threshold

I would get all the geometry in the SketchUp model to real size (1:1). If you traced the plan in Illustrator at 1:200 you will scale the geometry in SketchUp by 200 to get to 1:1.

I don't know that you can print a SketchUp perspective to scale... Do a search for "printing" in the help file and scroll down the the "scale" section.

Jan 30, 08 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitect

It adds a step, but I would export it as a 3D model as a .dwg (make sure 'perspective' is turned off) and then plot to scale from AutoCAD (or whatever you use). The section slice is the only way I know how to export something in Sketchup.

Jan 30, 08 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitect

I meant to say that the only way I know of to export something to scale is by doing a section slice. Sorry for the crappy grammar...

Jan 30, 08 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

You can print to scale in sketchup:
Camera-Standard-Top.
Camera-(uncheck) Perspective.
(mac:)File-Document Setup-Print Scale-Drawing Scale=1", Model Scale=200'
(mac:)File-Print-(change) Copies & Pages (to) Sketchup-Line Weight: .25 points

(PC:)File-Print: in the print dialog box, you have the Print Size section, with 4 numbers and two check boxes to play with.

It will not print too well.

I really like sketchup, but I think you could find a better tool for the job.

Jan 30, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Thanks for responses people.

I've been given the 2d sketchup file from a tutor. Just off out now but will have a good look through all replies later.

Thanks again.

Jan 30, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
induct

Just print it to pdf in plan view at 1:1 and do the scaling in illustrator

Jan 31, 08 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

rfox and snark are on the right track, but I would not export the entire 3d model, just hit the "export 2d" and select dwg. then in autocad simply scale the drawing in the viewport window. You can plot pdf from autocad. makes for a nice drawing. you can also get rid of overlap lines with the overkill command which makes this easier when you have to trace things.

best luck.

Feb 3, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Leave your drawing at 1:1 scale and you can use LayOut to scale the vectors and make a PDF. It's like paperspace for Sketchup

link

Feb 3, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: