Archinect
anchor

USC M.arch 1 vs UMich M.arch 1

TiredArchitect

So I am torn between these 2 schools. I personally dislike small towns because of my undergrad (uiuc), but USC has not offered me any scholarship and it costs 45k per year in tuition alone. U Mich is in a college town but I heard it really isn't that bad. In terms of reputation and school I am sure U Mich is better than USC. But for a california raised kid like me withstanding the cold for another 2 years is probably not a good idea. Basically reasons why I need some suggestions on which school to go to is because:

U Mich:

Pros: Better ranking, great facilities(so I've heard) and faculty

Cons: Cold as hell, studio is just a big open space like walmart with tables and chairs, college town (hopefully better than urbana-champaign).

USC:

Pros: In LA which means there are tons of fun and better quality of life(of course more expensive), very nice urban location for architectural development. 

Cons: not as well known as U Mich, rich spoiled kids(good or bad thing)

Any advice on the location of both schools would be nice. I am especially concerned with U Mich being a collegetown and not having a big selection of outside studio fun, and yes I am considering quality of life over education here.

Apr 5, 13 3:23 am
cr8ve

U Mich

Monica Ponce De Leon

Apr 5, 13 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Ok, so if you've already done 4 years, it's an M.Arch. 2.  If you're from CA and want to work in CA, just go to USC.  Mich is NOT cheap from out of state, and the cost of living, if you watch what you spend, shouldn't be that much more for 2 years.

OTOH, UMich is a better school.  If they handed you SOME money, it would make it even more sensible.  For a college town, Ann Arbor is better than most.

If no money in the equation, probably USC for you.  If some money in the equation (from UMich), then UMich. 

Either way, they're both good.

Apr 5, 13 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
TiredArchitect

no scholarship offered from both schools. I will be visiting both schools next week and make a decision I guess. I am surprised USC didnt offer any scholarship as my friends who are admitted all got scholarships

Apr 5, 13 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
TiredArchitect

I will be visiting USC tomorrow, unfortunately I can't make it to Umich because of expensive airfare. Can any current grad or anyone with any information about UMich chip in on here? 

Apr 7, 13 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: