Archinect
anchor

cover letters help: how much detail?

bRink

A general question for a recent architecture grad / architecture student looking for work: How much detail should be included in a cover letter?

Is it better to include information on your own personal architecture-related interests (and even unique experiences) in your cover letter when applying to jobs, given that you have little job experience in an architecture office? How much should a cover letter reveal who you are (as opposed to the basics of your education, work experience, what kinds of software you are proficient at, and that you are looking for employment)?

It seems to me that keeping it simple is a good idea... Are details better left for interviews, given that potential employers probably have a stack of resumes on their desk and don't want to read too much?

Sep 10, 04 5:32 am
mdler

Try to use the cover letter to show -

1) what distinguishes your from all the other recent grads

2) what you can bring to the firm

3) why you want to work for THAT SPECIFIC firm

DONT SEND OUT A STANDARD FORM COVER LETTER. YOU SHOULD WRITE A INDIVIDUAL LETTER FOR EACH FIRM. ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU SEND THE LETTER TO THE CORRECT PERSON AT THE FIRM

Sep 10, 04 11:17 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think all the work experience, software and all that kind of practical
stuff should be on your resume...the cover letter is like mdler said..
for presenting why you want to work there and you'd be a good hire
for them specifically..if that entails telling them about your thesis or
a project a wee bit more in depth than so be it...

personally i think the samples of your work and the resume would be
what i would focus on...it's what's going to distinguish you...i know when
i worked at a good firm in looking at all the stuff that came in it was
the people with good work and a nicely designed overall package that
got interviews...

Sep 10, 04 11:22 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

I agree with what's been said above, you shouldn't send out a standard form letter for your cover letter. Having said that though, you can have a form letter of sorts and tailor it to your specific prospective firm. Adding some detail like "I have a very strong interest in urban infill work and was especially impressed by your infill house.01 and it's relationship to the context of the neighborhood" or some bs like that. Keep it simple, but let the firm know that you have some idea of the kind of work you do, and how you'd be a good fit for that work.

Also if you're responding to a posted job, emphasize that you can do the things that they have requested. (e.g. the job posting says we need detail oriented person who knows autocad and photoshop. mention in your letter that you are detail oriented and have the software skills they're looking for)

I'd also say leave out stupid stories or other extraneous information. If you think architecture is like a book, always having another page to turn, or some bullshit like that, great. Don't put it in your cover letter.

Finally tell them they can contact you however and that you'll be following up in a week to set up an interview. Then call them. The worst they can say is, sorry not interested, or we don't have any openings for your skill level, and you can move on to someone who does. I think most firms like to see that you're being proactive and want to meet with them to work for them.

sorry for my rambling.

Sep 10, 04 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Thanks for the replies. This helps, makes alot of sense.

Sep 12, 04 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

pencrush, are you siggesting to say that YOU will call THEM to set up an interview? have you tried this before? its a great idea, but wouldnt you risk being considered a bit pushy? i absolutely hate it when you apply to a dream firm and they dont answer, you keep on checking your inbox, and that mail never comes...aaaah, the sorrow.

Sep 12, 04 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I say I'll call them to set up a time for an interview. When I call them I ask them if they got my materials and if they are interested in setting up an interview.

Usually if I can get someone on the phone, they've already decided whether or not they're interested in setting up an interview, so after I ask if they got my information, they're ready to set up an interview or tell me straight up they're not interested..

You don't have to wait around, and you can move on with your search or start getting ready for your interview.

Sep 12, 04 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

cheers! i'll give it a shot, great idea, thanks!

Sep 13, 04 6:31 am  · 
 · 
mdler

You are not being pushy, you are showing initiative

Sep 13, 04 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkeye

wow pencrush,
That's a great idea.

Sep 14, 04 2:01 am  · 
 · 
e909

pushy initiative; see if it works

Sep 20, 04 10:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: