Archinect
anchor

MArch at Sheffield - too practical?

majkelecek

Hello, I am looking for some insider info about the PART 2 archi degree at SHEFFIELD.

They do very well in the ranking and overall it seems to be a quite strong course but having looked at the list of modules they teach, I have some doubts.

There seems to be an awful lot of stress on the management & practice aspect of architecture - it looks like they have several units that are more or less dedicated to it. I know it is good to learn the practical stuff, but personally I see the time at uni as an opportunity to experiment a bit more, rather than be limited by having to cost-manage my final project (as is stated in their prospectus). I've had my year out so I'm looking for more of an academia experience now.

Also, their design projects seem spread across several units, so I am not sure if and how they are interconnected or if the idea is that you do several independent projects. In the other unis I've researched, they often have 1 project running for the whole year, or longer, with many more credits attached to it. Sees a bit more in-depth approach, that way.

These are my impressions after studying the Sheffield's prospectus - so I might be wrong, of course. This is why I'd really appreciate to hear from someone who is actually involved 

Thanks a lot!

Apr 4, 13 4:51 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: