Archinect
anchor

digital cameras

xtbl

hello fellow archinecters. i'm in the market for a digital camera, something nice with around 4 mp and around $300 or so. i was looking at the sony cyber-shot 4.1 and it seems pretty good. is there anyone out there who has this camera who can give me a review or is there anyone out there who can recommend a camera?

Sep 10, 04 1:36 am
jsap

I'd recommend Canons or Nikons, unless you're looking for better shots in low-light conditions--in which case I'd recommend Sony's.... The Zeiss lenses sound great for Sony's (I have several Hasselblad lenses, so I'm a fan of Zeiss), but frankly with such tiny lens designs, diffraction is the major enemy.... In looking for the best lens, look for designs that offer the best image properties in terms of pincushioning and barreling. Otherwise, the image sensor does much of the rest of the work. Nikons make for very "filmlike" images. Canons are more "digital" feeling due to their aggressive sharpening. Sony's are in between. I'd recommend Canon's A80. At about $300, it's a great camera. If you have more money, get the A95, a 5mp for $400.

Sep 10, 04 3:40 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

I would recommend you also look into batteries - if you don't want to constantly be buying or charging little batteries all the time I would recommend Nikon or Sony. Both with internal rechargable batteries...both excellent camera makers

Sep 10, 04 8:13 am  · 
 · 
bigness

dont know about the prices in us$, but canon and sony tend to have the best optics (specially the carl zeiss versions)

the t1 is the sexiest things around, i get stopped in the streets whenever i pull it out, and has a great macro function (focuses up to about 2 cm from the lens) which is great for taking pics of models.

canons have probably the best quaiity when it comes to colours (nice, sharp, great contrasts) but are not so good for action shooting, unless you spend a fortune.

Sep 10, 04 9:21 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

hey, thanks guys for such quick and helpful responses. man, richard, that t1 is sexy! mmmmmm....t1....aghhhhhhh... (homer simpson impression)

Sep 10, 04 9:53 am  · 
 · 
sahar

I got a Cybershot P-100 as a graduation present, and I really like it. It has a ton of manual options and takes really nice pictures. The memory stick annoys a lot of people, but I have no major issues with it. I would read consumer reports about your model. I know some of the models had various kinks in them. Like the battery and memory stick were stored in the same compartment so everytime you took the stick out it would reset you camera settings, etc.

Sep 10, 04 10:22 am  · 
 · 
ovalle

i recently purchased this camera, and I am very happy with it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusC8080WZ/Images/frontview.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc8080wz/

Sep 10, 04 11:02 am  · 
 · 
sam sung

I'm really happy with my Sony DCS-T1.

Sep 10, 04 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

great 4mp camera if you're willing to sacrifice optical zoom for an extremely small package:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd10.asp

Sep 10, 04 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
DEtroit

I'd get this one, mainly due to the size. You can fit it in your front shirt pocket and forget about it. With the CZ lens the shots should be pretty good as well.

link

Sep 10, 04 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
ElTomas

i have a Canon elph s400... best toy ive ever bought.. eaiest interface, great battery life.. small enough to put in pocket.. now $ .29 professional prints that look better than some 35mm cameras.. id recommend it... to anyone for any reason, has a great macro for up close photography of models as well..and you can also buy a case to put it in that makes it waterproof..

Sep 10, 04 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
cosmoe32

Interesting discussion. I too have to by a camera for school. This will be my first digital camera. I have an old Pentax with a few different lens types- one of them is a wide angle. Of the digital cameras that I have used (cannon elf and sureshot) I have noticed that the lens angle is narrower, like 50 mm or more. The wide angle is advantageous for taking architectural photos, especially interiors. Is there a digital camera available that takes a shot that is equivalent to a 28mm or less? Also, is there a camera available with relatively fast action that does not cost a fortune? Thanks

Sep 16, 04 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
wyoming81

Look at Ebay. The technology changes quickly but look for an older high end camera. It will be good and cheap and depending on you budget you will most likely get a camera with interchangalbe lens for all you wide angle and shift lense people.

Sep 17, 04 12:55 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

awesome. i thought this thread died a while ago. i'll definitely check out ebay.

Sep 17, 04 1:55 am  · 
 · 
scarpa

Strongly recommend Fujii Finepix S5000 - 6mp, 22x zoom, slr body, and you can fit loads of lenses (wide lense is awesome) and filters and stuff. Plus you should be able to get it for about $350. I've been using it for about a year but there still isn't anything that much better now within that price range. Keep the quality on high and you'll get incredible results,I've just printed some for an exhibition. Also the keeping it manual means you've got a huge amount of options to play around with - and unlike most digital cameras it's really simple to master.......good luck, and checking out e-bay would be a good idea, or if you're going to an airport somewhere you might get it cheaper......simple but it works!

Sep 17, 04 8:18 am  · 
 · 
cosmoe32

Thanks for the suggestion- I'll check it out.

Sep 17, 04 9:49 am  · 
 · 
bothands

Sony F717 (5MP) takes awesome pics & has the swivel lens/body for getting diificult view angles, and allows you to shoot from the waist, as opposed to the camera up in front of your face like a tourist, plus has a manual focus/zoom ring on lens like a 35mm, plus takes great low-light shots -- all around great camera, but not small...

Sep 18, 04 3:07 am  · 
 · 
g-love

i've had an eos digital rebel for about a year now (and, yes, i realize it's considerably more expensive than the price range cris wanted to hit), but it has been fantastic. the stock lens dips down to 28mm and you can add any of the older cannon lenses (one major factor in my own decision). we're getting a 100mm macro lens next so that we can take really close up model shots and keep them in perspective. the quality is about as good as you could ever want.

Sep 18, 04 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

I worked temporarily this summer at a shop that does ALL the digital camera repairs for Best Buy along with a majority of them for CompUSA. They also recently became the lens repair and manufacturers for Kodak. When I was checking in the cameras (its what I was doing there, not glamerous but it payed the bills until I got a job at a firm) I was really surprised by the number of Sony and Canon cameras that came through (although Kodak by far had the most problems), so that may be something to take into consideration. The least amount of problem units that came through were probably Fuji, which made me feel really good about my Fuji camera, which I have had no problems with.

So I'm basically recommending a Fuji... the model I have is somewhat older now, but I have never had a problem with it. A couple of my friends have bought the newer Fuji's and swear by them, saying its the smartest purchase they've made.

Sep 19, 04 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
cosmoe32

I just purchased over the net the Fuji Finepix S3000. I looked around quite a bit for another decent option in that price range, but this one seemed to have the most options for what I was looking for- a wide angle lens and really good picture quality (although its only the standard 3.1 mgs.). It seems like the big tradeoff that a lot of people make is pocket portability. That could be an issue, but the other features were really more important to me. Thanks for all the advice.

Sep 19, 04 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

my friend just bought the sony w/ (10 mp) swivel head --nice camera----------i just bought on the net a fujifilm finepix s7000
(12.3 mp) 6.3 opt. zoom, w/ a wide angle lens, 2 tri-pods (big,small) 2 bags(big,small), card reader for 128 flash card, 16mb x-d card (takes both), cleaning kit, 1 year waranty, and once a year i can get it cleaned at a dealer. -$807-w/ shipping --this camera is one of the best things to happen to an architects career since the cnc machine!!!

Sep 20, 04 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Fuji Camera's are great - they essentially debadged Nikon cameras in terms of alot of their hardware and mechanisms.

Check with the megapixel rating, as alot of fuji film cameras rely on both hexagonal diodes and smaller diodes to capture light. They essentially squeeze in extra smaller diodes to get greater megapixels. They call it Super CCD technology. I'm not saying its bad or anything, but a 6megapx FujiFilm camera may have less large diodes than a Canon 6megapx camera. Maybe someone can elaborate further. The S7000, for example, has 6 million effective pixels, but due to the inclusion of smaller diodes, records 12.

I have yet to buy one - I think I will settle for a Canon A85 or a Nikon 4100. Nikons are appealing because of the inbuilt battery. Ultimately I would love a Canon S70, or an older Nikon 4500. My budget is about the same as the original post...

Sep 20, 04 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

Pentax S4i (not s4), 4 MP, sleek and tiny design with a good lens and a rather large viewer.

Sep 21, 04 8:31 am  · 
 · 
crush

If you decide to go with a sony, make sure it has a carl zeiss lens and not one of those cheapy plastic things. About six months back, after extensive research, I purchased a Sony DSC-W1. I have been nothing but happy with it.

- 5.2 mp
- super fast startup and responsiveness
- great macro mode
- great movie mode (30 frames per second with sound) with time only limited by memory card space
- big 2.5" LCD screen
- good color accuracy
- perfect size: small enough to fit in your pocket but just large enough to feel substantial in your hand

Check out www.dpreview.com- it is a great digital camera review site.

Sep 21, 04 9:27 am  · 
 · 
crush

I also wanted to mention that you get all of that in a camera (the sony dsc-w1) for under 400 dollars.

the link is:

www.dpreview.com

Sep 21, 04 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Medit

I'm quite happy with my Sony DCS-T1... i was doubting between the T1, the P100 and the W1. All three of them had similar features and finally I choose the T1, because the size factor, and the design.. it's my first digital camera, and of course I'm not a professional, so I hope it works.. I've had it for only 2 weeks and it has become my favorite toy... though I'm not an expert, I'd recommend the T1...

Sep 21, 04 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

I would recommend Leica Digilux 2:
http://www.leica-camera.com/digitalekameras/digilux2/index_e.html

There is a panasonic one that is pretty similar and has the same lens:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021305pansonicluminlc1.asp

They function like a maunual camera.

Sep 22, 04 4:21 am  · 
 · 
dia

What does anyone/everyone think of the digital camera (and other product) reviews at cnet ?.

Sep 27, 04 10:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: