Archinect
anchor

Graduate Architecture -Best University

ashleymathews2003

Hey Guys,

I'm having a difficult time choosing the best university for my graduate studies in architecture.

I have been offered for a dual degree program in M.Arch+ MFA- Lighting Design at PARSONS- The New School for Design.The program doesn't offer me any scholarship/grant but a post as a research assistant or a teaching assistant ship.The location and the interests in trans disciplinary studies is what lures me into the program.But the enormous tuition fees, is a bit too much given the 4 year course duration. I'm thinking of splitting between either one of the program due to financial constrains.

At the same time, I have been offered an admission at Syracuse University for the M.Arch I with an advanced standing.The university offers me a post as a research assistant ship and a possible scholarship.The shorter duration , and the multi city study program is hard to let go.

Living in New York city is everyone's dream, especially when you are an architect.But at the offer from Syracuse University is equally good.

Please advise me to take the right decision

Apr 3, 13 3:55 pm
_oni

Hey, first, on a positive note congrats on getting accepted!! 

Not sure if I can assist you with making the "right" decision.  As the norm for all life's decisions, everything comes down to you and which school you'd like to go to.  Though I can't say I've been thru the program, I can share my decision making process on why I'm passionate to.

I didn't apply to Syracuse but I was accepted to Parsons and decided to do the M.Arch 1 starting the summer program in June.  Parsons is very collaborative which is why I didn't go the dual route (regardless of money, I can't take another 4yrs of "college" anywhere).

Questions I asked myself were: 

"if money wasn't an issue, would you still go there?"  - Fosho

"What is my first choice?" - Parsons, no where else really.. maybe Rice but I didn't want to stay in Houston.. and maybe AA.  

"Do I really want to live in the city?" - I'm from Houston, traveled to NY twice and loved it during the cold

"What type of studio environment would I like to be in?"I'm a plant/artist, I need daylight. I like also the collaboration with other fields.

"What draws me toward this program specifically?"(In your case: Lighting Design v. M.Arch ; Syracuse v. Parsons) Design workshop primarily for me. Also, Parsons' campus is the city. I did the "university" experience which was fun; but this setting will keep me focused while inspired. 

"When I look back on my decision, which would I regret more? Going to NY or staying in Houston" - It's worth the ride. If my goal doesn't scare me, it's not big enough.. lol I'm literally petrified now

I chose Parsons because I simply knew it's where I want to be if given the opportunity; it is/was my first choice.   Syracuse, as you know is also a great school though.  For now, all I can say is that I've been email tagging with current students at Parsons for the past couple weeks and they've been very supportive in sharing there experience.  For one, I like the fact that they found time to respond and gave me much insight.  I guess you can call it blind optimism but I feel as soon as I made a genuine decision to commit, positive connections were made.  Do I have all the answers on how to pay for everything? no, but that's ok. I look at it as a business investment, an opportunity to make $140,000 in the next 3 years.  Outlook is key haha ;) I'm actually quite serious, doing strategic planning now.

Thanks for the post, it was quite cathartic :) Like I said, all I can give you are the questions, but only you can answer them (cheesy line lol).  Facetiousness aside, from my own personal experience, going with pure, geniune gut/intuition has never failed me.

Apr 3, 13 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
thinkgreen

Hi Ashley, 

I am on the other side of the fence I am likely choosing Syracuse. Here's why.

1. I went to a rural college so a small suburban town doesn't scare me. The cost of living is much lower and shopping for a room/apartment has caused me much less stress outside of the city

2. Syracuse can offer you the best of both. You can stay in NYC for up to a year, making the same wonderful connections.  It has a large endowment so I believe (and have been encouraged by Saanin) That hard work and good scores will pretty much land you help financially. Art schools are wonderful for the creative environment but they are known for being a bit less generous with the money.

3. I am also a plant (hilarious btw lol) Slocum is beautiful and being from the city right now makes me excited about the openness. 

4. One of my final goals is to teach Architecture. (if people are still going for it lol) Syracuse has an amazing and highly ranked undergraduate  program. It would be nice to practice in an environment such as that. 

5. I feel like my personality would thrive more in a mixed community. I like basketball games and being around other people. It's easy to get trapped in the world of Architecture

I agree with o_knee. Deep down, your mind has already made the choice. You can know which by seeing the arguments you make for each and which one you defend your position in. 

Would I say money doesn't matter? No I wouldn't. Part of my reason for choosing Syracuse (85% sure) is because of finances. If you can put yourself in less debt I don't see why you wouldn't. Obviously you applied because you thought is was a decent enough fit. It's not like one will give you an M.Arch and one will give you a clown school certificate :) You'll come out winning on both ends.

Idk much about Parsons but do you really want to do lighting? That might be a good question to ask :)

Good luck and congratulations!

Apr 4, 13 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
_oni

Plants rock! Great rebuttal haha.  I will have to visit Syracuse perhaps for architectural leisure in the future. Good luck with your decision!

Apr 4, 13 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
ashleymathews2003

Thankyou guys ""o_knee" and ""Thinkgreen".

Oknee...loved the self questionnaire and answer and the jokes you have brought in.

Well I have seen both your points as relevant.

Thinkgreen- As you said, the only thing that helps is a little less debt studying at Syracuse.

Oknee- PARSONS is a great school, personally would like to work on Lighting design .I might have to let go of the dual degree becoz of its humongous cost involved.

Well living in NYC or just be a part of New york state seems to be the tough question. I have never been to the US..but I put myself accustomed to the city environment though.Syracuse university and the campus seems so lovely in pictures and their 3 city initiative is awsome...hard to let go off it if I had to choose PARSONS.

Syracuse definitely seems to be on the list as one of the top schools in the US.But what I haven't seen is the listings of PARSONS for a program in architecture.Parsons has very high ratings for Interior Design, Fashion and Industrial Design.

Which still puts me a difficult and thin strand before I make a decision.

Apr 6, 13 5:24 am  · 
 · 
_oni

Lol it sounds like you've already made your decision. Syracuse seems to fit your interest of the campus lifestyle.  Here's a list I digged up a while back for general architecture rankings in 2011. There's not really a clear setup on how rankings are configured as I've always been surprised with Parsons "popularity" that it is not ranked in the top 20.  I think it is mostly due to the nontraditional-campus setting and facilities. Hope this helps! Good luck

Apr 6, 13 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
ashleymathews2003

@ o_knee.

No, not yet.I haven't made my mind.Spoke to an architect named Joshua Prince Rasmus based in NYC.Even he recommended for Syracuse because of a ""well structured program" .He said PARSONS just might be too dynamic.

As of now, I'm still inclined towards PARSONS, being placed in an ideal location.But I would love to be a part of the three city program at Syracuse.Besides Syracuse offers me a post as a research assistant.

Apr 6, 13 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
_oni

Joshua Prince-Ramus leads the Syracuse summer program in NYC so not surprised he suggested Syracuse haha, but I'm guessing you already know this.  However, he's a well-renowned architect and co-founder of OMA/New York, part of that Rem Koolhaas crew haha, so you can't take is advice lightly.  

Too dynamic is an interesting response, but Parsons is an arts/design school, so again not surprised the term was used to describe its program. Also, if a renown architect informed me of this, it would give me even more motivation to go to Parsons just because of the challenge LOL.  But that's just my radical personality/opinion, "road less traveled" viewpoint.  Taking 'unknown paths' like this one excites me and has always yielded a life-changing experience. 

Syracuse is providing a lot of benefits, however. You're already making connections and provided more funding.  Despite the NY locale, from a purely logical, unbiased standpoint, Syracuse has more to offer.

Apr 6, 13 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
ashleymathews2003

Well I see how Joshua might have been a little biased while making his decision.

Apr 7, 13 4:35 am  · 
 · 
_oni

Even though his advice may be compromised, It is still Joshua Prince-Ramus lol

Apr 7, 13 5:35 am  · 
 · 
_oni

Hey ashleymathews2003, did you make a decision yet? I had an opportunity to visit Parsons btw for graduate student day in NYC... awesome experience!

Apr 15, 13 6:48 am  · 
 · 
ashleymathews2003

@o_knee

Yes, I have made the final decision.I have opted for PARSONS.
Are you joining the same school??If so which program.

Apr 15, 13 7:33 am  · 
 · 
_oni

ashleymathews2003 congrats! The school is mucho diverse and the vibe is amazing. Yes, I'm doing the M.Arch 1 only but there is a LOT of cross pollination amongst the architecture, lighting design & interior design programs. Very collaborative.  Which program did you decide to partake in?

Apr 15, 13 8:11 am  · 
 · 
ashleymathews2003

@o_knee.

Cool..we could meet up there. I'm in for the M.Arch I program too.

Apr 15, 13 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
_oni

wow, I know that was probably a tough decision. I will be doing the summer intro program, I assume that you have an arch background so I guess I'll be seeing you in the fall!

I hope I'm not being nosy, but how did you make your decision??

Apr 15, 13 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
ashleymathews2003

Yeah , I will be joining only for the fall intake.As you mentioned, the collaborative program at PARSONS and the school's location where my deciding factors.

Apr 15, 13 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: