Archinect
anchor

UPenn Vs. Taubman Vs. Portland

I will be graduating this semester with a 4 year accredited architecture BSAS from the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, and have been admitted to graduate schools at

-University of Pennsylvania "PennDesign" - MArch 3 year ($ offered)

-University of Michigan "Taubman" - MArch 2 year

-University of Oregon "Portland" - MArch 2 year

I also have an internship opportunity for this summer, however if I choose to attend Penn, may not be able to take the job due to a summer prereq. which would need be taken. I have done summer shadowing experiences in the past, however I have never worked as a full-employ intern.

I have talked to teachers, references from the shadowing, and of course I have my own opinion as well.

What route would be most recommended if I were to get the internship? If I didn't?

These schools are obviously different, with positives and negatives to each; I have visited two and plan to visit the last very soon, any input is greatly appreciated.

Apr 1, 13 12:59 pm

Hi from a UMich almost-graduate!

I can't speak to Portland, as when I was applying to graduate programs I restricted my search to first-tier schools in the East and Midwest.  

I can say that I looked closely at PennDesign, and decided pretty immediately against it.  If you have a chance to tour their studios, you'll see strong and consistent evidence that students there are taught a process and that the way to succeed in that program is to be good at conforming to that process.

Taubman, on the other hand, has a broader and yet less permissive approach to curriculum development.  There's not really any such thing as a "style" in any of the studios; but that doesn't mean that they don't constantly require the highest rigor of thought and craft in every design studio.

In my opinion, the program you choose should reflect both your current strengths and the way you see yourself growing professionally.  For me, I find the greatest amount of success when I am left to determine my own path and am enabled to evaluate my results independently; it's not the easiest process by far, but for me it's by far the best.

Best of luck to you in your decision!

Cheers,

Jess

Apr 8, 13 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: