Archinect
anchor

Computer choice help

voila_phil

I need to prepare to buying a new computer for advanced architecture courses. I thought about the Apple Mac Workstation, but it is way over my limit.

My main focus is on hard disk, RAM, and graphics card.

Is 4GB of RAM fine? Can you recommend a top-notch computer that will last for at least a decade?

Jan 24, 08 11:44 pm
John Cline

voila_phil, This topic has been discussed on the forums at least 5 dozen times. I might suggest using the forum search feature.

Jan 25, 08 8:55 am  · 
 · 
postal

a decade? no...

just get what you can get, and live with the rendering times.

macs are nice, but there's like a $500 dollar premium.

Jan 25, 08 9:14 am  · 
 · 
4arch

a decade?!?! I'd hate to still be using the computer I had in 1998. Granted, things haven't been advancing as fast in the past five years as they had been previously, but still, even the top of the line machine in 98 would be barely usable by today's standards.

Jan 25, 08 9:16 am  · 
 · 
manamana

I have a feeling he was kidding

Jan 25, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i just built a new system for 700$ quad core 2.4 (overclockable to 3.0+)
4 gigs of 1066mhz ram in 2 sticks (i will upgrade to 8 soon)
a ASUS mb(my fav) upgradeable to the new 45nm chip technology that will come after the core duo stuff and 2 PCI-Express 6800 cards softmoded to quadro 4000's

i say it is good to keep asking this question because things change.

i would say the macs have more of a 2000$ premium if you are able to build your own system.

i still use the pc i had in 98 as a server it is a 1.4mhz that used to be a 900mhz duron, as long as i use a version of XPlite on it works fine with todays software

Jan 25, 08 11:39 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite
http://www.woot.com/Blog/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryId=3831

woot has a pretty good deal going on today, but it ma already be gone

Jan 25, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

good find. i wonder y people refurbish (return stuff like this)

Jan 25, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

I run a Dell XPS desktop, and I am also running dual 6800's modified to unlock the FXcore pipes.

I've actually never run into anyone else running the Dual 6800's unlocked, so you could imagine my surprise to find someone also in architecture who has done the same.

Jan 26, 08 12:40 am  · 
 · 
futurist

Get a Mac. Never go back. Seriously.

Jan 26, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: