Archinect
anchor

Pratt

thinkgreen

I am starting to feel a bit of concern about how little information I can gather about Pratt. They are very closed responders and give vague answers about financial aspects as well as other questions. Although I have hunted and hunted online I am receiving very little of the statistical information that I need.   Does anyone have any helpful information about Pratt as an M.Arch I option?

Mar 28, 13 3:23 pm
nycwanderer

Long time reader, first time poster, but I saw your thread and couldn't resist.  I too have been having the same issue with Pratt.  I received a scholarship, but only for the first year, and I have been calling and emailing to see if they can give me any stats on the number of second and third year students who receive scholarships, but the answers are all very vague.  The one very important bit of information I did get is that the cost of attendance worksheet on their site shows the max number of credits taken as 24, but architecture students actually take 28, so the tuition is an additional 5K per year. 

Mar 28, 13 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
thinkgreen

@nycwanderer

How frustrating, right? I received a scholarship for the first year as well, I would love to know though, if I can afford the whole three years. That extra 5,000 makes it close to 77,000 for the first year (with a new computer). 

NYC is amazing and I would love to hear more about the school as I have heard a few good things about it, however, that price tag along with the feel of secrecy is a bit strange to me. :/

Mar 28, 13 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
robdmob

MS Architecture applicant here, I haven't received any info on scholarships or financial aid, few calls and emails later I was told that info on scholarships are included with acceptance letter (so I wasn't awarded any), and award letters/financial aid will be forwarded after the fin aid office gets listing from the admissions office, thou no date given on when to expect that. I won't be attending Pratt, going to Columbia most likely, but from the open house I attended it looks like a solid program.

Mar 28, 13 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
orgufiel
Pratt student here in the M.Arch program. I didn't receive a scholarship when I was accepted but I know a few students that did. I'm not too sure if they've received scholarships for the other years. I don't think they have other than the scholarship they offer for high gpa's which vary but can be 3.8+. That amount is only about 2,000 for the year though.
Mar 28, 13 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
yEAh

@orgufiel: I got accepted at the Pratt MArch program also for summer 2013. However, I'm still on the fence if it's worth it for the debt. I'm didn't get any scholarship though. I'm wondering if what Pratt has estimated for the cost of a year of study is true? Like $60+K? 

An alumni told me scholarship is easy to get for the second sem even if you don't have any before. Is it true?

Mar 29, 13 2:35 am  · 
 · 
orgufiel
I would say it probably is easy to get scholarships for the second year, not semester since its gpa based (if you have a very high gpa). Tuition itself is about 17,000/semester. The fees for the semester are about another 1,000 if you waive the health insurance. From there you should calculate your own living expenses, food, transportation if you commute and anything else you think you may need.

For those of us who are actually taking out loans each year we'll be graduating with a minimum of 120,000 in debt so it's really up to each of you to decide. It's a scary amount of debt to have.
Mar 29, 13 8:27 am  · 
 · 
yEAh

How's the program so far and how does it compare to other schools? Thanks!

Mar 29, 13 10:10 am  · 
 · 
orgufiel

The program is what you make of it essentially. I can say for sure that I've learned about design and the different approaches to design. I have some work experience so it's a ice contrast to what we'll be doing in "the real world" once we graduate. I do have to say that the whole parametric and "object" architecture has grown old. 

I can't say from first hand experience how it compares to other schools per say because I have a non architecture background as an undergrad. I can say that Colombia and Pratt are pretty much one in the same. There are many professors here that teach there and professors from there that teach here. I have a few friends in the New York City College of Technology and they're amazed at how much design and theory is taught at Pratt. Their schools are very practical so they don't really know how to approach design in the same way as us. (Just like many students here don't know how to actually put together a building like they do.)

Mar 29, 13 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
yEAh

@orgufiel: Thanks for the info. If it's not much to ask I would like to have a word with you. My email is [email protected] Thanks again!

Mar 29, 13 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: