Archinect
anchor

Any past or current Dalhousie grad students out there?

oswald

Just found out I got accepted to Dal as a transfer student (have a B.Env.Design from U of Manitoba), wondering if anyone can comment on what the masters program is like, quality of faculty, etc...

I found a video online from 2011 where the dean is talking about how the faculty is stretched to its limit due to the 3-term curriculum. Got me worrying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me267_y1HcA

Also applied to Mcgill and Carleton, waiting to hear from them.

Cheers, thanks!!

Mar 26, 13 3:22 pm
sam goods

I am not in masters yet (in BEDS) but can answer a few questions about the school if you still have them (probably after all the deadlines in a couple of weeks). 

Apr 2, 13 2:08 am  · 
 · 
poiuy

I stayed in their dorm on vacation a few summers ago. Very nice campus / location.. 

Apr 2, 13 9:07 am  · 
 · 
oswald

Thanks for the reply! I guess this story I found is a couple years old, but apparently the students walked out because the profs were over-worked? Just wondering if this is an ongoing issue? Does it take away from the school experience there at all?

Apr 2, 13 10:54 am  · 
 · 
El Tejon

I'm considering applying to Dal next year, and am also interested in heating about this!

Apr 2, 13 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Oswald,

I'll try to shed some light on your questions. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that the walk-out seems to have received very much attention; I've heard it come up on these boards a couple times now (although I assume it just keeps getting regurgitated from people searching "Dalhousie" on the forum). I participated in the walk-out, as did I believe every single student within the architecture school at the time.

The walk-out came about due to a number of staff going on medical leave and the university not agreeing to hire full-time employees to replace them. Its hard to give a very description on a forum, but the essential gist was that the teachers in the school were having to make up the workload of their colleagues and getting stretched too thin. The student association came together and agreed to stage a walk-out that was in full support of the teachers and sought to bring the resources necessary to the school. The walk-out ended after about 1-2 hours, as one of the vice-presidents of the university had been notified by the students association and came to meet with both the Dean and Director of the school. New funding was found and additional teachers hired, as necessary. This all happened in early 2011, and things have certainly changed since then (for the better). It shouldn't be read that the school was in crisis at any point; merely that the teachers needed more support from the university's head offices and so the students sought a way to help bring that to their attention.

Apr 2, 13 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
sam goods

BenC is correct. There's no such problem here right now. 

Apr 2, 13 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
oswald

Cool, thanks BenC. Honestly, everything I've heard from friends and colleagues about Dal and Halifax has been positive, pretty sure I'll end up going there.

Cheers!

Apr 3, 13 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: