Archinect
anchor

Columbia v.s. U Michigan

I am deciding between these two schools. Is there anyone having any thought about M.Arch programs in these two schools?

U Michigan (Taubman) has great facilities and its new Digital Fab lab is high-technologically equipped with CNC routers and Water jet cutters...etc.

Columbia (GSAPP) has renown visiting professors and lecturers and its international reputation.

Some of my concerns are:

1. How well is the availability of studio professors.

2. Is it easy/super hard to get into Tschumi/Steven Hall's classes in Columbia?

3. Whose alumni network is more powerful and which school have more rising alumni?

4. Which school is more recognized nationally and internationally?

5. Which school has stronger study abroad program?

If you have attended either school for M.Arch, could you share your opinions about the school?

If you choose one over the other one, could you tell why?

I would also love to get in contact with ppl who are deciding between these two schools.

Mar 25, 13 2:38 pm
tinson49

GSAPP

U Mich has 49% acceptance rate, although its program is solid.,but place is bad.

GSAPP is highly-known, good place.

Both are good program, but if you can afford it, Go GSAPP!!!

Mar 25, 13 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
avesl

Hi Yi,

From what I've seen in their intro program, GSAPP has a very diverse student body, and it is quite important for architectural design since you learn so much from people who are different from you. 

I don't know much about Taubman college though, so I can't really make a comparison bases on diversity...

:P

Mar 25, 13 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: