Archinect
anchor

portfolio

hello im 15 and want to be an architect and i was wondering what i should put in a portfolio as im thinking of starting to make one and i was wondering if anyone could tell me

Mar 24, 13 5:43 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

do you make art? put it in. do you write? put it in. photography? sculpt? minor cosmetic surgery? graffiti? put it in. basically, anything you create, you should document. document like a scientist or surgeon would. be so insanely anal about your process, so as to make the person looking at your application wonder out loud just how insane they would be not to have you in their program. you've got three years, not a lot of time, so, go!

Mar 24, 13 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

I think exercises, sketches even, in understanding how a building stands, is a start. I am not saying understanding building structure, or column sizing. I am saying that you can look at a building and start to develop your inner eye, your imagination if you will, and think about how that building is put together.

One approach would be to become comfortable zooming in and zooming out of a particular part of the building. A lot of licensed architects find this hard sometimes because they are focused on other aspects of the building. I would recommend keeping a sketchbook with you as much as possible. Ideas, observations, and details will jump out at you in different scales.

I think this has been said on another thread you started and I will repeat it again. If there are any local architects that you can get in touch with, that would be good. Additionally, if there is a local RIBA chapter that could point you towards an architect, that would be good. Are there architects that volunteer some of their time in schools for example. Are there any contractors you can reach out to? Becoming familiar with the workings of a construction site is good experience for some.

You may have looked through some of the portfolios that have been shared in this forum that there are many different approaches to portfolio making. Sketching, mixing media (from pencil to ink to watercolor to paint) is a good approach. The objects you choose don't matter as much as developing a sense of proportions, rhythm, materials, textures and scale. Along the way if you can sharpen on your digital tools, that would help you flesh out your portfolio better. We are all walking toolboxes with different tools sharpened by experience. Not everyone has the same tools and most of us try to keep improving how well we know our tools, or the size of our toolbox.

Just start somewhere, that's the important part.

Mar 24, 13 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
ok thanks and im into drawing floor plans alot i enjoy drawing them if thats any help to you
Mar 24, 13 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: