Archinect
anchor

Popular programs?

stevemac

I will be starting school in September...

What are some of the most popular programs that I should become familiar with besides AutoCad, Revit, Photoshop...?

Jan 15, 08 4:02 pm
n_

The listed above are a good start. I'd also recommend Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and SketchUp.

Jan 15, 08 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

and maybe, just maybe, get some practice in with a pencil.

Jan 15, 08 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
binary

sharpie and trace......

never mind...

ALL 3d programs.......form z, alias, sketchup/etc

Jan 15, 08 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
stevemac

So FOG Lite....

will a pencil alone get me through school???

Jan 16, 08 12:38 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

top thesis at my uni generally goes to someone who can effectively communicate with both. still heavily weighted to hand drawing.

if you go to notre dame, a pencil might be all you need.

Jan 16, 08 12:43 am  · 
 · 
stevemac

they draw plans with a pencil at notre dame?

Jan 16, 08 12:49 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Rhinoceros

Jan 16, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

yes steve, they still draw everything by hand at ND.

Jan 16, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

check out artlantis for your renderings.. it works great with sketchup

but most importantly pen, paper, onion skin, highlighters. etc etc..

Jan 16, 08 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Microsoft Paint.

Jan 16, 08 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Artrage is great on a tablet to do conceptual sketches with all mediums

Jan 17, 08 11:52 am  · 
 · 
facader

Mario Paint

Jan 17, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

powerpoint...presentation skills will be important in your professional career.

Jan 17, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

effing despise powerpoint. worst program ever.

Jan 17, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

powerpoint is the most important program an architecture student can learn! the most effective communication tool out there. learning to use it well though is an art.

puddles, it's funny how ppt made such a huge impression on our graduating class. i think the whole school has since gone back to illegible computer rendered, hand-smudged nonsense.

Jan 17, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yeah, ja, i guess we were special.

i want mega-yacht.

Jan 17, 08 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

You certainly could get through with just a pencil. I'd recommend chipboard and elmers glue too. You'd be a total bad ass and a lot more memorable than the rest of the kids doing photoreal renderings.

Jan 17, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

don't use powerpoint, use Open Office Impress instead.

Jan 18, 08 10:20 am  · 
 · 
stevemac

thanks for everyone's help...

and FOG Lite... you are a giant tool box...

Jan 18, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

actually, a guy i know that did just what FOG rec'd is pimpin it w/ renzo.

Jan 18, 08 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
crimso

I went through college using CAD, Photoshop, Sketch-up. Now I use Revit and I think it's the best architectual tool so far.

Jan 18, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i would say become familiar with rhino, but hey, i came out of school 5 years ago, and u r just starting which means we have a 10 year gap, which means u should start with more complex stuff...

try to download whatever they give for free to students, rhino, archicad, revit, and every BIM software u can...actually master rhino in a month and then jump to solid works

Jan 18, 08 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

the cult favorite because it is the most powerful out of the box solution and simple.

a mixture of simple and powerful seem to always be the winners

Jan 18, 08 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

try this one. everybody's using it.

Jan 18, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

the little brother ;)

Jan 18, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i disagree. Foglite is not a "tool box"...that's actually some pretty sage advice from him and worth considering. By and large, programs coame-and-go, but the basics of arch are astoundimgly static. even my suggestion of powerpoint should be taken with the understanding that any presentation software could be valuable...whether you use powerpoint, keynote or the open office impress suggested above...just don't negleat the presentation aspect of arcitecture. Like the oled cliche, you only get one chance at a first impression and in this biz that can be everything.

Jan 18, 08 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I agree with FOGlite, and no a pencil alone can't get you through school, but neither can Rhino. You get yourself through school.

You'll ultimately employ most or all of the programs listed here by the end of your education and into your career, but I personally don't think any of them should be necessary.

If you want to get a head start, I honestly think digging into arch lit. would be more useful, spend your time reading history, theory, and criticism. You'll pick up on all of these programs really quickly when you find they apply. Knowing them now may establish your tool pallet long before you know what you’re saying with those tools.

Jan 18, 08 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i worked w/ some german guys that couldn't use anything but a pen and pencil and a few basic programs (word, quarkxpress) and were able to produce some of the most sublime projects i've ever seen. but they collaborated and hired people who were at the top of their game.

Jan 18, 08 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: