Archinect
anchor

i love this guy

from http://www.wired.com/culture/culturereviews/magazine/15-11/st_lehrer:

Q&A: Rhodes Scholar Jonah Lehrer on Art for Science’s Sake
Jonah Lehrer wants scientists to bone up on the classics.

A former neuroscience lab drone, the 26-year-old Rhodes scholar would devour pages of Marcel Proust's Swann's Way whenever he wasn't spinning down DNA. In the process, he made a discovery: Artists have something to teach researchers.

In his new book,
Proust Was a Neuroscientist, Lehrer argues that many artists have foretold the scientific future — Proust revealed the inaccuracy of memory, chef Auguste Escoffier anticipated the fifth taste sensation we now call umami, and post-impressionist Paul Cézanne proved that the brain fills in what a painting doesn't show. Wired asked Lehrer to explain why the white coats should go all black-beret.

Wired: Do you really think that we'll find answers to science's Big Questions in the arts?

Lehrer: Virginia Woolf isn't going to help you finish your lab experiment. What she will do is help you ask your questions better. Proust focused on problems that neuroscience itself didn't grapple with until relatively recently — questions of memory that couldn't be crammed into Pavlovian reinforcement: Why are memories so unreliable? Why do they change so often? Why do we remember only certain aspects of the past?

Wired: Has the separation of the disciplines held them back?

Lehrer: It has affected both cultures adversely. You read the diary of Woolf and the letters of Cézanne and realize they thought they were discovering something true — in the same real way that science is true — but we don't think of artists that way anymore. The separation has also led science to neglect this other side of the mind. It's important to acknowledge that when you discuss the brain only in terms of proteins and enzymes, you're missing something.

Wired: Which artists are making the discoveries of tomorrow?

Lehrer: Maybe my next book will be Kanye West Was a Neuroscientist. He's making use of the same musical principles as Beethoven, the same idea of building toward a pattern but then denying the listener that pattern by injecting randomness, because that unexpectedness is what your auditory cortex really craves.

Wired: What scientific advances are affecting artists today?

Lehrer: Neuroscience has come up with some amazing things in the past couple of decades, like the idea that there is no you in the brain, no neuron that is you or that cares about you. You're just a massively distributed parallel network. And the idea that from the perspective of DNA we're all so incredibly similar. That feels very novelistic to me.

Wired: Which of today's artists and scientists would you pair up?

Lehrer: Sculptor Richard Serra should read about string theory and figure out a way to simulate what 11 dimensions might be like. I would love to put Serra and physicist Brian Greene together.

http://www.jonahlehrer.com
http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/

Jan 13, 08 3:22 pm
vado retro

The truth was that she could never permit herself to buy anything from which no intellectual profit was to be derived, avove all the profit which fine things afford us by teaching us to seek our pleasure elsewhere than in the barren satisfaction of worldly wealth. Even when she had to make someone a present of the kind called "useful", when she had to give an armchair or some table sivler or a walking stick, she would choose antiques, as though their long desuetude had effaced from them any semblance of utility and fitted them rather to instruct us in the lives of the men of other days than to serve the common requirements of our own. she would have liked me to have in my room photographs of ancient buildings or of beautiful places. But at the moment of buying them, and for all that the subject of the picture had an aesthetic value, she would find that vulgarity and utility had too prominent a part in them, through the mechanical nature of their reproduction by photography. She attempted by a subterfuge, if not to eliminate altogether this commercial banality, at least to minimise it, to tsupplant it to a certain extent with what was art still, to introduce, as it were, several thicknesses of art: insteead of photographs of Chartres Cathedral, of the fountains of Saint Cloud, or of Vesuvius, she would inquire of Swann whether some great painter had not epicted them, and preferred to give me photographs of Chartres Cathedral after Corot, of The fountains of Saint Cloud after Hubert Robert, and of Vesuvius after Turner, which were a stage higher in the scale of art. But although the photographer had been prevented from reproducitng directly these masterpiecesor beauties of nature, and had there been replaced by a great artist, he resumed his odious position when it came to reprodu int the artist's interpretation. Accordingly, have to recon again with vulgarity, my grandmother would endeavour to postpone the moment of contact still further. She would ask Wsann if the picture had not been engraved, preferring when possible old engravings with some interest of association apart from themselves, such for example, as show us a masterpice in a state in which we can no longer see it today. It must be admittted that the results of this method of interpreting the art of making presents were not alsways happy. The idea which i formed of Venice, from a drawing by Titian which is supposed to have the lagoon in the background, was certainly far less accurate than what i should have dreived from ordinary photographs....Swann's Way. Proust AND football. Damn I am complicated.

Jan 13, 08 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I have just read Jonah's book, and while delighted to see science and art on the same page, in the same book, there was actually just as much pleasure in the 30 minute video of Jonah presenting at google.

Most of the research he presented on the Neuroscience side I had already read, and this was paralleled with a series of nicely written intro-to-history-of-art/music/literature 101 type texts. Quite readable.

The book I do mean to read, having seen the author talk, is Semir Zeki's Splendours and Miseries of the Brain. Which relates the neural correlates of the creation and appreciation of Arts.

Jan 18, 09 5:28 am  · 
 · 

youch. at $61 in hardcover, i better wait for the paperback.

Jan 18, 09 7:37 am  · 
 · 

i just blew a half hour or so working backwards through his blog. addictive stuff. not always satisfying - he tends to float teasers and not follow through - but always intriguing.

Jan 18, 09 8:29 am  · 
 · 
07/21/08 6:02

Yesterday I was reading how the AA was (still is?) more taylored for students with wealth behind them. 'sky's deli.

so back to modernist then again...
...buttons suck [no you're G. Stone hear]
out of luck
till it's
over again fence
hence
a believer beaver
yet neither
sex machine changes
over praire ranges

It's been a long time since I've read all of The sound of your negative reminds me of purple you steak. Probably more than 20 years even.

You know it might still be the only poem in existence that actually has a flip-side. I haven't read all of that in a long time either.

Jan 18, 09 11:12 am  · 
 · 

I really wanted to read this last year after reading the same wired feature, but it turned out that every copy UW has access to was not only out, but reserved for the next round! But you've reminded me to try again.

Jan 18, 09 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: