Archinect
anchor

minimizing files sizes in rhino

FOUAD

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep rhino model files managable...I often times generate a model and then find it hard to generate imagery from it simply due to its file size....

Jan 9, 08 8:19 pm
FOG Lite

try keeping your mesh setting as low as possible. Other than that i can't really tell you anything without more specifics on what you are trying to model and what level of detail you are after.

Also, maybe a new computer?

Jan 9, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

save small so the saved file has no mesh in it but it will take more time to open when it regenerates that underlying mesh

having the size of the unused saved file smaller for HD space is the issue or keeping the model less 'expensive/complex' so you can work on a older PC is?

MAXIMIZE your RAM

Jan 10, 08 11:01 am  · 
 · 

rectangles, right angles

Jan 10, 08 11:25 am  · 
 · 
garpike

How does a right angle save space?

Jan 10, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Saving small will make smaller file sizes on your drive, but it will not speed up rendering, which it seems is the issue.

I'd lower the mesh setting as FOG suggests. And if it is a big scene, try reducing the model to individual models of individual views. That is if you are doing a close up of a space, delete all the unseen parts of the model.

Jan 10, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 

less wacky geometry, less data.

but seriously, it's alwasy a good idea to keep your layers and blocks nice and clean. purge constantly. check for redundant geometry (SelDup)

Jan 10, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ah I see what you mean...

Some render engines slow down when geometry is way off the screen. Not sure how, but be advised.

Jan 10, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

sped up rendering? Vray

Jan 10, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

not a huge help unless your model came from multiple files with blocks, extra layers, etc - but PURGE is always nice for simplifying as well

Jan 12, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: