Archinect
anchor

GSAPP vs Parson's M.Arch/Lighting Design Dual Degree

paintitblack

Hi everyone - I would like some outside opinions on this...

I was accepted into GSAPP and Pratt so far.  I'm waiting to hear back from SCI-ARC (but I think I've already decided against going there) and Parsons (the M.ARCH/MFA Lighting Design program).  It might be another week before I hear anything from Parsons, according to the online portal, but I am tempted to just say F it and accept admission to GSAPP.

BUT-  the only thing is, I am extremely interested in lighting design.  That's why I applied to Parsons in the first place.  Columbia doesn't have that option, but I like everything else about the school, the curriculum, the faculty, etc.  The main reason I applied to Parsons was because of the dual-degree offering.

Does anyone know if it would somehow be possible to still learn lighting design while at GSAPP? I don't need an MFA, but I do want the actual knowledge. Is it something I would have to learn by myself, or is there some other educational outlet, or a school with extension courses on the subject that I could take while getting my M.ARCH?  Or is it best to, assuming I get in at Parsons, just do the dual degree?

Mar 16, 13 8:40 pm
paintitblack

Bumping.  Any insight, anybody?  Really struggling with this.  

Mar 22, 13 10:58 am  · 
 · 
thunderclap

I say go with GSAPP and try to find a different and less expensive way to dip your toe into the lighting design pool.

Think about it in investment terms: You're interested, which reads to me like you're on the fence about it--i.e. you like it but you're not quite sure.  That means there's a chance that you make the commitment to Parsons and find out it's not what you thought it would be.  That leaves you with an M.Arch degree from a school with considerably less name-brand clout for the future.

Investment thinking and name-brands aside, which of the M.Arch programs would  you be happiest attending?  That is, after all, the main program you're looking to attend.

Mar 22, 13 11:35 am  · 
 · 
_oni

Yo paintitblack, where did you end up going??

Apr 27, 13 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
paintitblack

I went with GSAPP in the end.  Not an easy decision, and I still sometimes wonder "what if".  But in the end I figure rather than paying for 2 degrees, do some extra footwork and find other avenues for lighting design.  Won't be easy, but it makes financial sense.

Other reason being, at the core, I want a school with a broad, international scope.  I really appreciate the approach Parsons has taken, but my gut tells me that I'd be happier at GSAPP.  We will see...

Apr 28, 13 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
_oni

Completely agree about going with your gut/intuition. Congrats on the decision and good luck with your endeavors! 

Apr 29, 13 12:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: