Archinect
anchor

Another Decision Thread - UBC v. Berkeley v. Columbia

rustout

I've narrowed down my acceptance to these three schools. Being from Canada, UBC is the most financially sound option, especially considering the 5000 dollar entrance scholarship they have offered me, which would essentially cover my first years tuition. Vancouver is a fantastic city, and it appears UBC offers some strong study abroad options, alongside an interesting mentorship program where students are assigned a partnership with established individuals within the Vancouver architectural community. Of course, the reputation of the school is very appealing.

Berkeley also carries an excellent rep. Having completed the summer [IN]Arch program, Im familiar with the studio space and got a great taste of Berkeley and the Bay Area. In my opinion, the city of Berkeley is a bit sleepy for my taste, but having SF across the bridge is a great bonus. Berkeley also offers outstanding teaching assistantships that will cover a large portion of the financial burden of attending the school for the second and third years of study.

Columbia has always been my number one choice. The opportunity to live and study in New York has always been a dream, alongside the credibility of the institution and the potential connections made with great firms in the area. However, it appears that GSAPP will also be the most expensive. It is also the program I would reason I am least familiar with.

I ask of the Archinect community any info regarding experiences and knowledge of these programs. Any insight into similarities and differences, pros and cons, approaches or pedagogy? General question I know, but any information is much appreciated!

Mar 15, 13 9:32 am
Spackle

Im just spamming up the threads today. sorry. Im SUPER bored at work.

anyway, I think you can narrow this down to two schools quite easily.

I've heard really good things about UBC. The cost is very attractive. Vancouver is expensive though. Things have a way of balancing out. 

Berkeley is great and I love their facilities. The Bay Area is a serious powerhouse these days. A design education may land you in a number of unforeseen job markets outside of architecture that still involves serious design knowledge. That is an exciting possibility/reality.

Columbia / New york is the same but more expensive. I dont know much about their facilities but i know their professors and I think heir program is structured better based off course offerings, studios and interaction with the private sector, plus the MSRED.

I was a planner in SF for three years. The CED at Berk was a breeding ground for future city employees and non profit workers. Plus if you think Berk is sleepy, its only a matter of time until SF has you feeling the same way. 

Eliminate Berkeley. Go to the financially responsible UBC or go to your dream school at columbia. It would be a blast. SF can't match either of those things.  

Mar 15, 13 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Berk? I sleep there - Lots of good Indian on Curry Way though - the Sag Dahl puts me to sleep.

Mar 15, 13 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Spackle

it stings the nostrils

Mar 15, 13 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
rustout

Spackle, appreciate the insight. Going to be checking out all the open houses, but Im feeling pretty drawn to Columbia right now.

Mar 17, 13 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
rustout

Of course, additional advice and opinions are always welcomed.

Mar 17, 13 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
batman

spackle -  what can you note about the MSRED program in GSAPP?  im curious if it can help me get jobs easily back in the west coast

Mar 17, 13 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Spackle

Hey Batman, 

This is one of the strangest, funniest, most pompous and insightful threads I've read on MSREDs. It's quite long and gets better and better as you go. I would give it a good read. It covers job placement, alumni networks, alumni experiences and more.

I'm not a graduate of the GSAPP MSRED  and by no means am I an expert of any kind on this subject but I know a few of the GSAPP graduates and have researched the program as well as others pretty thoroughly. 

Columbia alums are all over California, especially the Bay Area, which always helps the employment cause. I know two people specifically who did the MSRED and are in San Francisco working on lots of great projects locally and internationally. If you are familiar with the area then you will know of this project. http://www.dbarchitect.com/projects/slideshow/160.html#3414  

I know a GSAPP MSRED grad worked on this right out of school. Not a huge project but somewhat high profile given how many people see this everyday. He loved his experience at the school and was very happy with his job. 

If you want to stay in California, have you considered there other MSREDs? USC, Woodbury, University of San Diego or San Diego State? Regionally, they are all very strong. UC San Diego also offers a certificate program that is very good and half the cost of the MS. You could continue to work and take classes at night. Best of both worlds IMHO.

USC is for sure the strongest in the west given it's been around the longest. 

The colossal Corky MacMillin company is was founded by an SDSU alum and so they donate a lot of doe to the school and hire a lot of their students. 

Woodbury is obviously a very interesting and growing program, largely thanks to Johnathan Segal, the mega millionaire architect + developer. FYI - Harvard and Columbia both currently employee Woodbury graduates as RED professors.

Arizona State also has a MSRED and I have heard nothing but great things about it. Not only is it one of the best in the country but it's probably one of the most affordable.

Generally, my understanding is that the GSAPP MSRED program has a high employment rate. Many students take jobs internationally, the UAE is known to recruit heavily from the MSRED. I worked in Iraq for a while and got a chance to meet some smart real estate kids in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The UAE isn't New York or San Francisco but it pays well and you will learn and travel a ton. 

New York will also take in a lot of these students. The best at numbers will go into private equity stuff. Big bucks but zero actual development work.  

I work in Central and South America and there are MSREDs down here working for great companies on exciting projects as well.

I realize I didn't really answer your question but hopefully this additional information will help you understand your options and get a clearer idea of what and where an MSRED will lead you. 

Cheers

Mar 18, 13 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
batman

Spackle -

THANKS FOR THAT LINK AND ALL THAT INFO!

Is it possible that you and I can chat privately so I don't thread jack this?

I have more to ask!

thanks, man/girl!

Mar 18, 13 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
montecillo

Hey Rustout,

How did you find the IN[ARCH] program? I've been accepted in both IN[ARCH] and Columbia's Intro to Arch program this summer, and am trying to decide between the two.

PS. congrats on getting into those three schools!

May 7, 13 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: