Archinect
anchor

Cornell vs. UPenn M.Arch 1 (also U of T and UBC)

jacobcohen

Hello, I have recently been accepted to both M,arch 1 (no architecture background) programs at Cornell and Penn Design.  I am an international student from Canada and have a BA in Art History and Urban Geography from McGill University.  At the moment I am leaning towards Cornell over Penn as I have heard and read that the Penn's program is more computer based while i feel the Cornell program is more well rounded.  Can anyone offer me insight into either or both programs.  At this point both are quite out of my league price wise and I am still considering University of British Columbia in Vancouver or University of Toronto.  Cornell has offered me more aid than Penn but I just want to learn about both programs and what people have to say.  I will be attending the Cornell open house but unfortunately cannot attend Penn's.  Any info on UBC or U of T would also be welcome.

Any insight or experience with any of these programs would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mar 15, 13 9:32 am
ziazia
I am on similar situation between uPenn and UBC. Would love to hear your comments too...

Thanks!
Mar 15, 13 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
strangefires

I'm wondering about what people have to say between UBC and U of Toronto as well.  More so, what are the pedagogical differences that make clear distinctions between the two schools.  The progressiveness between them, and the focuses and allowances that the schools entrust in their students in terms of taking risks etc.

Mar 15, 13 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
Neogi

yeah, some input between UBC and UofT would be much appreciated! 

Mar 15, 13 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Neogi

And do you guys know when we find out if we got accepted into UofT? I know UBC is mid March and UofC is end of march. Thanks. 

Mar 15, 13 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
gameboy

first thing is considering how much you want to spend. canadian schools are wayyy cheaper, thus stay in canada if you're low on budget. end of the day, if you want be an architect, you going to have a great education in canada. 

if you want to move to the states after graduation, gain extra contacts and networking, name of the school, then go there. the tuition of the states is not a 1:1 reflection of of their program, keep that in mind. 

Mar 15, 13 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
gameboy

cornell and upenn is really in the same level. both good name schools. go to cornell if you like new york

Mar 15, 13 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

I am strongly considering Cornell as I am interested in NYC after graduation.  Cornell offered me 12K annually while UPenn only offered 5. 

I heard back from UBC on Friday and was accepted.  Last one i'm waiting on is Toronto.  I don't know much about the pedagogical differences between the school but do know that they are both very focused on their own cities.  I was told that UoT is very focused on Toronto and would make working int hat city the most likely outcome after school.

I plan on attending the Conrell open house potentially the Upenn one as its the only way to really get a feel for the programs and faculty.  UBC doesn't seem to have one and flying to Vancouver form Montreal is expensive so not sure ill get to visit if I were to pick UBC

Mar 16, 13 8:49 am  · 
 · 
architecte

If I were to choose a school again, I would pick a city/country that I like.  Studying in one city does not always mean your future job prospect is only limited in the same city.  Once you have started working, what you do will not necessary have anything to do with your academic focus.  This is not a discouragement.  Thinking back, all roads lead to Rome.  It depends on how you push yourself while in school.  Maybe you could take a look into the interests of the faculty members and see how they compare to your goals.

Both UBC and U of T are equally respected anywhere in Canada.  Many of the faculty members at U of T were educated in Ivy League schools.  U of T is situated right in downtown while UBC is in a beautiful park by the ocean.

Mar 16, 13 10:34 am  · 
 · 
own1221

As a Cornell grad I found it strongly well-rounded, and also appreciate the strength of the alumni network post-graduation.

Mar 18, 13 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

@own1221

Thanks for the info. I am definetly leaning twords Cornell. The only issue is the Amit of debt I will incur. Do you feel that job prospects were good post graduation? I will have to take loans in the 100k range. Also are there scholarship opportunities offered during the program that might help along the way.

Mar 18, 13 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
AA23

@jacobcohen

Hey .. I am student from India, also leaning towards Cornell M.Arch 1... Didn't you find it difficult to submit the FRF showing 200 grand lying in your bank accounts for Cornell..?!

I am still figuring out how to do so .. I wonder if this requirement to show financials for all of 3.5 years is mandatory in any other school except Cornell, coz all the other schools I got into, need just the financials for the 1st year ..!

Get back to me Cohen.

Apr 15, 13 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

@AA23

It is only Cornell that has that crazy requirement! and after speaking with them they are pretty stuck on it.  I would call to maybe talk it over some more.  Don't bother calling the person it says on the FRF form but speak with the admission director at the AAP.  What they need is any bank or financial investment statements (it can be mutual funds or any money that could technically become liquid in a  few days) basically not real estate.You can show several statements of friends or family members or anyone who sign the form.  I hope to be able to get a few family members who have investments to show their statements.  Still not sure how I am going to cover all the costs of Cornell since it has to all be loans for me!

It really is crazy but after going to open house Cornell is where I want to go.  Id talk with them don't let that stupid requirement stop you.  That being said still considering University of Toronto since its much less.

Apr 15, 13 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Unless Cornell is offering big money, I'd turn them down and stick with Toronto. 

Seriously, that's probably not the answer you're looking for, but the cost savings are really, really substantial. 

Apr 15, 13 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: