Archinect
anchor

UPENN(MArch2) vs Cornell(MArch2) vs Columbia(MSAAD)

xdfwx

It's really unsure among these 3 programs, which one is better?

And the thing is, Columbia MSAAD has much lower qualification nowadays, and I'm not sure they can remain the quality.

Anyone have some conclusive idea?THX!

Mar 12, 13 10:11 am
NNelson

they can remain at least SOME of the quality

Mar 12, 13 10:39 am  · 
 · 
xdfwx

@laps3

yep, SOME of the quality,

so how much still remained?hah

Mar 12, 13 11:03 am  · 
 · 

I would personally go with Cornell. I really like who they have on staff a lot. Great people. UPenn with a close second. 

Mar 12, 13 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
xdfwx

@james petty

Thx for sharing. I guess Columbia would be the last choice.
I may need to check the course and staff of Cornell and upenn

Mar 12, 13 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
xdfwx

Any advice with the selection?

It's really hard to choose, and any comments appreciated.

Mar 15, 13 8:30 am  · 
 · 

What are you interested in? Why are you going to grad school? Especially as a MArch II. There must be something specific you are looking for. You should also used linked in to find current MArch II students there and shoot them some questions. Doesn't Cornell still have you spending the summer in New York City?

Mar 15, 13 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Macpod

I know a guy from columbia MSAAD who worked for 2 pritzker price winners after the course. And i know another guy from princeton working at a third tier coporate firm .

And of course there are inverse cases.

So the thing to take away is all of these schools are great and it depends on your ambition and ability.

Mar 15, 13 9:25 am  · 
 · 
xdfwx

@james petty

Actually I found it hard to figure out what specific research is each school doing, which I really need to shoot some questions there.

@macpod

Sounds fair enough, it's our own ability to decide our destiny. thx

Mar 15, 13 10:23 am  · 
 · 
robdmob

@xdfwx, I've been looking into student work recently to decide between Penn and Columbia as well, waiting on Pratt. though this is a bit bias as Columbia has been my dream school for a few years now.

Penn; pp@PD - http://issuu.com/archworkpenndesign/docs/pppd

Columbia; 09-10 ABSTRACT, including MSAAD - http://issuu.com/gsapponline/docs/gsapp-abstract-0910

I'll be attending the Columbia open house to get a better idea. Penn strikes me as as more homogeneous, entirely too focused on parametric design.

There's also the different class sizes to consider, I believe Penn will be around 3 studios and Columbia will be 9-10, judging by recent class sizes. I personally prefer a larger class.

The benefit of Penn's M. Arch II is that it's 2 semesters, so tuition would be 2/3 that of Columbia's, and living expenses would be much lower. The benefit of going to Columbia is for me the location.

hope this helps.

Mar 15, 13 11:58 am  · 
 · 
xdfwx

@robrmm

Great help.

I agree with your opinion about upenn's homogenious, and I'm not quite good at parametric things.

Well, will you consider Cornell? Or u even didn't applied that.

Mar 16, 13 8:12 am  · 
 · 
own1221

As someone who went through this process and has since graduated and talked with people with all three schools, there is no argument that GSAPP has the stars, Penn is very focused in parametricism. As a Cornell grad, what I appreciated was the strong programming and site contextual emphasis and the camaraderie between alumni after graduation.

Mar 18, 13 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
I_'-

GSAPP  /  Cornell

MsAAD  /  M.Arch II

NY         /   Ithaka

NA         /   $/2

...           /    ...

Mar 21, 13 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
cr8ve

U Penn

Mar 21, 13 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

@own1221.. can you elaborate more on what you mean by "there is no argument that GSAPP has the stars".. i plan to attend GSAPP this summer

Mar 22, 13 2:33 am  · 
 · 
I_'-

GSAPP / Cornell ....

any ideas?

Mar 27, 13 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: