Archinect
anchor

Fees for interior design

Jefferson

I'm putting together a fee proposal for the remodel of a basement space for friends of a friend.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what to charge, as most of the scope is coming up with a fairly simple concept design for the space, drawing it, and helping select materials and finishes, new lighting, shelving, flooring.  The space is somewhat limiting in what can be done.  Based on my anticipated hours, my fee is really low.  It's also very low when compared to the budget for the project (about 6%).  Does this seem right for the type of scope described?   Any comments would be appreciated.

Mar 6, 13 7:11 pm
bindunarayan

At present, almost all well-known architects use to charge their clients on hourly basis for the creative interior design ideas, and renovation work that they provide to their clients. But, you have clearly mentioned that you would get  considerably lesser amount with this approach. So, try to adopt any other distinctive bill charging strategy that would aid you to earn decent money.

Mar 7, 13 4:25 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

What is the budget for the project?

Mar 7, 13 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Big city, suburbs, rural? East coast? West Coast? Somewhere in the middle?

Mar 7, 13 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

So, try to adopt any other distinctive bill charging strategy that would aid you to earn decent money.

buy the furnishings you spec and bill the client for them plus 10%

tibetan rugs light fixtures and furniture add up to a lot of mon€¥$ for you

Mar 7, 13 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Or do the contracting - or both...

Mar 7, 13 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Never, ever give a fee based on an estimate of hours. That is a rookie mistake.

All the money in interior design contracts is in procurement, usually 5% to 10% of cost.

Design fees should be based on a percentage of estimated cost as well (especially if you're not doing procurement), but proposed as a lump sum with defined scope.

Mar 7, 13 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

charge a heck lot more than 6 to 10% if you value your design and efforts.  ... i mean.. Some random dude with no education doing basements probably charges twice or three times the cost.  Same with people who do backsplashes..  dont they charge $800 or $900 when the total material only costs $300.  Can you imagine if they started charging 5% of the total cost?  don't short change yourself..

You aren't a charity.. Look at it as a business.. unless you really want to do your friend's friend a favor ;)

Mar 7, 13 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I did a very straightforward basement remodel for a friend, it took me 2.5 hours to do a hand sketch of a plan and they gave me $250. So, $100 an hour!

Mar 7, 13 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
bindunarayan

I hope now you have got a better idea on how you need to go about when it comes to charging your clients for the quality architecture work that you offer them. 

Mar 7, 13 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: